Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS X Yosemite on a Mac Pro (2006)

• Please log in to reply

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

I have found a lot of articles and stuff online related to getting a Mac Pro to install a 64bit OS X system (specifically Yosemite) and I have tried quite a few of the methods and just cannot get it to work right. Has anyone actually had success doing this and has a detailed step-by-step process they used that works?

I am stuck with OS X Lion and I use Logic Pro 9 because it is all that is supported. I need to use Logic Pro X, but that is not supported.

Look forward to the discussion.

(been a while since I have been here, so hi to anyone who actually remembers me!) :happy:

Advertisements

iEscape

iEscape

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

I have found a lot of articles and stuff online related to getting a Mac Pro to install a 64bit OS X system (specifically Yosemite) and I have tried quite a few of the methods and just cannot get it to work right. Has anyone actually had success doing this and has a detailed step-by-step process they used that works?

Perhaps this link offers you a solution:

https://support.appl.../en-us/HT203482

I am stuck with OS X Lion and I use Logic Pro 9 because it is all that is supported. I need to use Logic Pro X, but that is not supported.

Look forward to the discussion.

(been a while since I have been here, so hi to anyone who actually remembers me!) 

Read this first before you upgrade to Yosemite: Logic Pro 9 discussion:

https://discussions....m/docs/DOC-7531

thenotch

thenotch

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

Yeah, I think you missed what I was saying. This is not a problem loading OS X Yosemite, the problem is that a Mac Pro only runs at 32 bit, even though it has 64bit capability built, it's just not accessible with out modification with the bootloader. Not a Logic Pro issue, I'm trying to see if anyone has been successful using things such as SFOTT, Tiamo's boot.efi, etc. And if so, what exact steps they took.

I have been very close, but ultimately no 64bit OS X install will launch.