Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New laptop restarts while playing games

• Please log in to reply

lostone

lostone

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Its happened twice in the past two months. Please tell me what info i need to provide. regards

Chassis & Display Octane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB) Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11 2nd Graphics Card NONE Memory - Hard Disk 480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW) 2nd Hard Disk 2TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (5,400rpm) RAID NONE mSATA/M.2 SSD Drive NONE 2nd mSATA/M.2 SSD Drive NONE External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE Memory Card Reader Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC) Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND Sound Card ASUS™ XONAR-U7 Compact 7.1 USB soundcard and headphone amplifier Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1525 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0 Wireless Router/HomePlugs NONE USB Options 4 x USB 3.0 PORTS (1 x POWERED) + 1 e-SATA/USB 3.0 PORT COMBINED Battery Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH) Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 230W AC Adaptor Keyboard Language OCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence DVD Recovery Media Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve

Also it passed the stress test in Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility

One thing I found is that on a other forum a user write this: 

"One thing to try is to unplug the computer from the power strip and plug it directly to the wall outlet. The power strip may be causing a 'reset' which will result in a reboot of the computer"

Could this be possible? I am using a crappy old strip.

Edited by lostone, 05 March 2015 - 10:27 AM.

Advertisements

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Im also getting lots of kernel-processor-power readings in the advent viewer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Not enough information to go on at present but overheating comes to mind, only happening twice in two months makes it less likely though (unless that is the only gaming you have done).

When the computer has restarted has there been any on screen message, did you check to see if any updates had been installed that may have forced the restarts, have you checked for any crash dumps, to check;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

A UPS with built in surge protection would be best but as a minimum a good quality surge protector should be used to protect your hardware, example here

Tip

Please do not reply to your own OP or last reply as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply and so are already being helped, use the edit tab to add information to your OP/last reply, that is what it is there for  :thumbsup:

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

The screen just goes blank with no warning/message. Also looked for minidump file but its not there.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
did you check to see if any updates had been installed that may have forced the restarts

Was this checked.

The screen just goes blank with no warning/message

Your thread title says that the computer restarts, does it actually power down completely then reboot itself or as above does the screen go blank and then come back on again.

Make sure crash dumps are enabled on your computer, 

To configure your system to write out crash dumps in case of a system error, take the following steps: 
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Startup and Recovery, click Settings (or Startup and Recovery). For best results, under write debugging information selectfull memory dump. Your system however must meet several conditions for this option to work. Alternatively you can select small memory dump to have your system write out crash dump files that are significantly smaller. 

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

No sorry it powers down completely then reboot itself and im sure that there where no updates.  I selected small memory dump as the full memory was not there

Edited by lostone, 07 March 2015 - 08:58 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Thanks for clarifying  :thumbsup:

Can you click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner of the page.

Are your video drivers up to date and the power plan set to balanced and not high performance.

The computer shutting down and restarting is unlikely to be caused by software, unlikely but not impossible, Windows will normally throw up an error on restart such as Windows did not shut down properly etc.

Now that crash dumps are definitely enabled you may get a dump file if and when it happens again, to see if we can force the issue see the canned text below; 

To see if we can identify any driver conflicts please refer to the copy/paste details below provided courtesy of jcgriff2  :thumbsup: 

1. Create a Windows System Restore Point -

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8/ 8.1 - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows*8) | HP® Support

2. Run Driver Verifier -

Windows 7 & Vista - START | type verifier 
Windows 8.1 & 8 - Press WIN +X keys | select "Command Prompt (Admin)" | type verifier 

Make these selections - 

1. Select 2nd option - Create custom settings (for code developers)
2. Select 2nd option - Select individual settings from a full list

3. Check these boxes -

▪ Special Pool 
▪ Pool Tracking 
▪ Force IRQL checking
▪ Deadlock Detection
▪ Security Checks (new as of Windows 7)
▪ Concurrency Stress Test (new as of Windows 8)
▪ DDI compliance checking (new as of Windows 8) 
▪ Miscellaneous Checks

4. Select last option - Select driver names from a list
5. Click on the Provider heading - sorts list by Provider
6. Check ALL boxes where "Microsoft" IS NOT the Provider
7. Click on Finish 
8. Re-boot
[/HIDE]

- If the Driver Verifier (DV) finds a violation, it will result in a BSOD

- After re-start, you may not be able to log on to normal Windows

... • Boot into SAFEMODE - tap the F8 key repeatedly during boot-up

... • Select "System Restore"

... • Choose the restore point that you created in step #1

- For Driver Verifier status

--- select last option, 1st screen -or-

--- type verifier /query (in a cmd/DOS screen)

- To turn Driver Verifier off - verifier /reset then re-boot

- The Driver Verifier needs to run as long as possible - even if the status screen appears clear.

- All future BSOD dumps must be VERIFIER_ENABLED_MINIDUMPs - otherwise the dump(s) are of no use

If your system does BSOD while the Driver Verifier is running, please retrieve the dump file from c:\windows\minidump and attach it to your next reply.

Please note that Driver Verifier may need to be left running for up to 72hrs, you should use the computer as you normally would and DV will not affect this unless a BSOD occurs.  

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Yes drivers are updated. Will get back to you with the rest

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

:thumbsup:

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I Booted into SAFEMODE, but then it just asked for my password but nothing on System Restore.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

The latter part of the instructions are "what to do" if DV causes a BSOD.

If you have not had a BSOD boot into Windows and use the computer as normal.

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Sorry i do apologize but what would you like me to do now? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
If you have not had a BSOD boot into Windows and use the computer as normal.

Use the computer as you normally would, gaming, internet searches etc, this to see if a driver causes a crash/restart, if it does DV should identify it.

Something else you can do is turn off auto restart to see if it allows you to see any possible error messages;

How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows 7 details here

lostone

lostone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I just had "Blue Screen: Driver-irql-not-less-or-equal" But no crash dump??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
turn off auto restart to see if it allows you to see any possible error messages;

Was this done.

I just had "Blue Screen: Driver-irql-not-less-or-equal" But no crash dump??

Was that all the on screen message said?

Turn off DV please > Click Start and then type verifier /reset

Can you tell us what AV software protection you have installed and if you have a Windows 7 disk.