Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway nv55s windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Gharney63

Gharney63

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
wont boot I put in recovery discs I purchased from gateway instruction tell me to insert System disc and wait till it instructs me put in the 1st of 3 recovery discs the system disc loads go to the windows recovery screen and just hangs there for hours ....any help please

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:    Gharney63,

It is possible that the hard drive (HDD) has/had problems so can I ask a couple of questions;

Was the computer unbootable before you tried inserting the disk/s.

Is the HDD detected in the BIOS, if yes what is it listed as, a Seagate drive will be shown as beginning with ST and  a Western Digital as WD as two examples.

Does the HDD activity LED blink at any time.

Have you changed the boot sequence in the BIOS so that the DVD drive is the first boot device and the hard drive the second boot device, if yes were the settings saved and then checked to ensure that the settings remain.

Has the computer been dropped or banged or the HDD making any odd noises.

Gharney63

Gharney63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
We have in the past brought the computer to factory settings this time I can't get into windows at all so I purchase the recovery discs .. I did change the boot order to cd/dvr the HDD model is toshiba mk7559gsxp my daughter said it was never dropped ... It will load files from system disc but then hangs at the windows recovery page

Gharney63

Gharney63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
No odd Noises and yes the boot order is comfirmed

Gharney63

Gharney63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
HDD led blinks untill is gets hung up at the gateway recovery management page

Gharney63

Gharney63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
When I boot without discs it goes to the page showing launch repair or start normal when I start repair process I get a black screen then I get a grey back round with the mouse pointing which I can't move no words on the screen been on this screen for 10 mins

Gharney63

Gharney63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
One more thing it says loading windows files without system disc it loads very fast with the system disc I noticed that it the files load slowly before going into recovery management

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, till Phillpower2 gets back to you, firstly a hint, if you wish to add more before someone else replies, please use the edit function, otherwise the long string of posts may not all be read properly.

As Phillpower2 said this may be a hard drive fault, which you haven't yet answered about does the hard drive show up in the BIOS?

Also it could be the RAM memory faulty, do you know how many RAM modules or sticks are in the machine? If there are two, take one out and try again, if no good swap them over and then try again.

If only one module let us know as other tests can be done.

Nev.

Gharney63

Gharney63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok I will edit ...yes it hard is in the bios I will check the RAM

Gharney63

Gharney63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
No luck switched ram sticks tried just one no luck still hangs up at windows recovery managent screen

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the additional support Nev  :thumbsup:

Gharney63,

The fact that your HDD is clearly identified as a Toshiba mk7559gsxp is a good start but it does not mean that it is 100% good, for example, it could have bad sectors on it that are locking up the drive, Toshiba unfortunately do not provide diagnostic tools for their own brand of drive that allow you to test a non bootable HDD so if the drive does need testing I would suggest Seatools for DOS, details below.

Before testing the HDD is done can I ask if you have checked for a recovery partition on the HDD, if not, restart the computer, hold down the ALT key and repeatedly tap F10, post back with an update.

Run Seatools for DOS available from http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable DVD/CD.

If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn to burn the .iso file to a DVD/CD disk depending on your OS (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the disk bootable.

RE ImgBurn: please use the custom install and uncheck the attached foistware such as "Install Entrusted Toolbar etc

Gharney63

Gharney63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Alt F10.....EDIT WINDOWS BOOT OPTION FOR: WINDOWS 7

Path: \windows\systems32\winload.exe

Partition: 3
Hard disk: a65a9be5
[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If there is no data on the HDD that you would like to try and back up see if you can do a Full Factory Recovery by following the steps here if there is data on the drive such as family photos that you would like to try and back up first let us know before trying the FFR option.

Gharney63

Gharney63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I will when I get home have work.. Thanks for helping should in around 4pm est

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are welcome and no worries reply when you are able to  :thumbsup: