Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Windows update" malware?

• Please log in to reply

linag

linag

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Hi,

My computer is very slow and keeps telling me I need to restart to install windows updates. There are suspiciously many in the last two weeks... Can you please help me? Thanks!!

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi linag :)

Windows Updates notifications are perfectly normal when they come from Windows. Also, if you didn't install any new updates during a certain period of time, it's normal to have a ton of them to install. Next time you get a such message, take a screenshot of it and post it here, so we can tell you if it's legitimate or not.

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Once done, attach that screenshot to your next reply;

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Well, they are set to auto-update and I have multiple every day... my computer is running super-slow. I have had a couple of Trojans in the past. Seems suspiciously similar?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Edited by linag, 13 March 2015 - 04:17 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Not sure what the image you posted is supposed to represent but I don't see anything about Windows Updates. What happens if you do Windows Update manually?

Click Start, All Programs then Windows update.

Post a screen capture of the Windows Update window, then install all updates, see what happens.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
This little orange shield by the "Shut down" button is a legitimate Windows Updates icon from Windows saying that Windows Updates will be installed on shut down. It's a common thing when you have a lot of updates to install. Myself, a few months back on my laptop, I seemed to have these everytime I was shutting down my laptop and updates were indeed being installed.

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

I know that it seems legit, but I have maybe had 100 in the last 3 weeks... Not exaggerating. And I do updates regularly. It's not like I haven't done them for the past year or anything! Not sure, it seems to slow my computer down like mad. Not sure if I actually have malware but when this started my computer went from totally normal speed to being so sluggish it's unworkable. Thanks for helping me out.

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

This all looks legit, but by god! My computer isn't functioning because all it does all day long is updating!

Attached Thumbnails

• list.png
  • current.png

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
These are all legitimate Windows Updates. I suggest you to repeat the instructions below until no more Important Updates are found.

rONW46K.pngCheck for Windows Updates
Follow the instructions below to check for available Windows Updates and install them:
  • Click on the Windows Start Menu and select Control Panel;
  • From there, click on System and Security and select Windows Updates;
  • Click on the Check for updates button in the left-pane;
  • Wait for the scan to complete and see which updates are found, Recommended Updates and Recommended Updates (or Optional Updates);
  • Click on X Important Updates (X being the number of updates being found) and make sure that they are all checked;
  • Install every Important Updates found and restart your computer once it's done;

linag

linag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Sure. It's 3:30pm and I have installed 13 updates so far today... about as many as I installed yesterday, and the day before. I guess I'll just keep going. Thanks.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem :) Let us know how it goes.