Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows vista cannot download

• Please log in to reply

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

I am trying to get chrome but it says Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site https://www.google.c...?platform=win64.

Operation aborted. It says basically that with anything I try to download. It was reformatted with the recovery manager and when this kept happening reformatted with the disc. Same thing kept happening. It is a pentium dual core cpu with four gigs of memory. ACPI x86 based PC. Is there something I can do to fix this problem. This is my niece's computer and she is taking it back to Alberta on Friday. If I can't fix it she will take it in there. Thanks

ginnyjoe

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello, ginnyjoe

Sorry to hear you're experiencing trouble with your browser.  May I ask what version of IE you're using?

If you're running IE7 (or older), let's try to upgrade your browser.  Click the link below to be forwarded to the correct site, and let us know if the problem persists after a successful browser upgrade.

Click here to upgrade your Internet Explorer!

*NOTE* - Please un-check the small box (for Bing & MSN) before pressing the download button!!!

Good luck, and please let us know if this helps your issue. :spoton:

Edited by Fusionbomb, 09 March 2015 - 03:18 PM.

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

I tried to upgrade but it says the version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need and x86 (32bit) or x 64 (64 bit) version of the program, and the contact the software publisher. It is an ACPI x86 based PC. Hope this helps.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

ginnyjoe,

You say you last used a disc to reformat it, was this a disc that came with the machine?
I assume this is Windows7?  We'll need to look to see if this is a 32-bit operating system installed. 

To check the system type, click:
Start > [right-click on] Computer > [left-click on] Properties

Look at the top (under: Windows edition) and/or in the middle-ish (under: System).  Do you see anything about 32-bit or 64-bit?

If you don't see either, that means it's a 32-bit OS. 

(I'm only asking because in the link you provided in your original post, there's a "platform=win64"... so if you this is, indeed, a 32-bit OS then I will need to research the issue... or someone else may have to step in!)

:smashcomp:

Edited by Fusionbomb, 09 March 2015 - 06:48 PM.

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

It says 32 bit Operating system. I reformatted with the discs that were created from the computer.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Thanks for confirming that, ginnyjoe.

I will need to research the issue somewhat, but one more thing I would like for you to try:

https://ninite.com/

Clicking the above link will bring up a page with lots of check-boxes.  Please look at the top left of the check-boxes and select Chrome under Web Browsers.

After checking Chrome, scroll down and press the green button that says "Get Installer".  This should begin a quick download.

Once downloaded, click Run (if you don't see this automatically, click Start and in the search box type "downloads", this should reveal your Downloads folder which you can click to open, and then Run the download/installer).

This probably won't work, but it's worth a shot while I'm investigating!  :yeah:

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

I was able to download chrome with that site. I have also downloaded avg so it seems to be working. Thank you so much. My niece will be so happy. There are a few things I will try before I give it back. Thanks again.

ginnyjoe

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Right on!

Good luck!

:prop: