Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Comparing Laptops

• Please log in to reply

Squashua

Squashua

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

I currently have a Dell XPS L502X. Not a bad laptop for the little bit of gaming and side work that I do. Unfortunatly it's 4 years old and I've gone through 2 Hard Drives and not I Currently have a 20 gig hard drive in there so that I can do work. AND the battery has completely failed. BUT THATS' IT. So It's time for an upgrade. I need some advice on a new laptop. I'm looking for something that will be good for gaming at the same time I will be running alot of CAD files and PDFs and memory hogging excel sheets, mostly at the same time. I have looked into the basic Alienware 15. My wife says that's too expensive. So I looked further into getting maybe the higher end Lenovo Y70. I was also looking into an MSI GE60 Apache-Pro 061 (or 012 I can't remember, I've slept since I looked last). The Alienware is at the top of my budget, so there's my price range. So if anyone has any input please help me out and let me know of any other options out there. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

:welcome:    Squashua,

Can you tell us in which country you will be making the purchase and which particular CAD software you use, the Alienware 15 and the lenovo Y70 are both expensive bits of kit and for me the Dell is overpriced considering it only has a 15" screen.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Squashua

Squashua

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm in the united states. And AutoCAD 2014. I have started also looking into a Sager, but I just can't find something I'm happy with AND run my programs AND not cost more than 1200.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Worth considering is the Lenovo Z70 17.3-Inch Laptop (80FG0037US) here

Couple of reviews on MSI Apache and ASUS ROG GL771JM-DH71 here other reviews that I have read say that the MSI gets very hot, the ASUS gets poor reviews at Newegg here both should be avoided based on the information available.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Not heard from you for a while Squashua, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.