Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 Download Problems

file version download time out App installation hand shake

• Please log in to reply

Chuck Sisson

Chuck Sisson

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I'm running w‌indows 7, SP1, 64-bit. I've been plagued by a challenging problem that only seems to be present when booted to "Normal Mode" - "Safe Mode with internet" works normally.

When using either Internet Explorer ver 11 or Firefox ver 37, linking and navigating various WEB sites appears to function normally. The problem appears when attempting a download. It takes a very long time to BEGIN the download and USUALLY times out before it gets to that point. On the rare occasion when the download goes OK, and if the download is an application, an attempt to install it ALWAYS results in the following error message:

"This version of this file is not compatable with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (x64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

When I select a download and there is a 64-bit version, I always select that one. I've tried to download many types of programs many, many times with the same results, and switching to "Safe Mode with internet" always results in successful download AND installation.

Some wisdom here would be VERY helpful.

beerexpert

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

For IW11: Open the internet control panel by pressing Windows Key + R and then type Inetcpl.cpl. Go to the Advanced tab and select Reset..

For Firefox: Reset Firefox preferences to troubleshoot and fix problems