Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse movement causing lag issues

• Please log in to reply

Pete-

Pete-

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but i'm having issues with my mouse. I'm pretty much computer illiterate so i have no idea what i'm doing. I noticed this problem yesterday so it's something that has just happened and i'm not sure if it started after a recent update or not. Whenever i move my mouse everything lags. This is most noticeable if i'm watching a video or listening to music. Both the pic and the sound start to lag. I unplugged my usb mouse and after doing this everything works fine for a while but then it starts lagging again at some point. However, while my usb mouse works fine for a while the laptop mouse doesn't. If i use that mouse everything crackles and slows down. When i open control panel and move the mouse back and forth the "service interrupts" number goes up as well as the "Service host: local system" and the "Intel® technology access" and cpu usage goes from between 20-30% to over 70%. 

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Pete

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi :welcome:  Pete.

Can you please tell us as much as possible about the computer, I gather a laptop so the model number and make please.

Considering that there were some Windows updates during this last week, try doing a system restore to some time last week and see if that cures the problem.

If so, go to the control panel, find Windows updates, and set them to fully manual so you can then install each update one at a time to try and find which one caused the problem.

Let us know what you find.

Nev.

Pete-

Pete-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for the help Nev.  It's a 3 month old Acer E5-571-304m, 12GB Ram, 1000GB HDD.  Win 8.1.  I don't have back up disks but i managed to restore it to the state it was in prior to the last update on the 11th and everything seems to be fine now(at least for now).  The touch pad wasn't working at all prior to the restore and now it works fine. However it says the computer needs to be restarted to install latest updates so i'm presuming it will reinstall the last update again when i switch it off and the problem may well come back.  Should i make a system restore point and is it easily done?  I don't have a big enough thumb drive to make a back up disc.

Pete

Edited by Pete-, 13 March 2015 - 12:39 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi Pete, we hit a snag, I am not too familiar with Windows 8.1, however I hope someone can tell you how to turn Windows updates over to fully manual and not automatic, as the updates just might send it back to where it was again.

You do need to get them to the point where you can select each update and allow it to install one at a time so whichever the faulty one is, can be turned off and hidden till Microsoft sort it out.

You should be able to go back to the restore point more than once, or make a fresh one before the updates are installed.

Can any one help here with updates on Windows 8.1?

Nev.

bjsmith22

bjsmith22

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey guys,

I seem to be having a similar problem. I recently updated my windows 8.1 on an acer aspire e15 similar to OP's, and since then I have been having serious CPU use issues, causing very bad mouse lag even when I have nothing running. It seems to be something hardware related, right now my best guess is my USB controller for my mouse, as system interrupts is generally what is spiking when moving the mouse, and unplugging the USB controller seems to fix the problem momentarily, thought my touchpad doesn't work properly when I do that.

I have not been able to resolve yet, but I just noticed windows released a few hotfixes this morning that I am downloading now.

Any more info on the issue would be appreciated and I will post here again if I resolve my issue.

Pete-

Pete-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Have you tried a system restore?  It seems to have solved the problem for me although I have a whole lot of updates that are pending to be installed on restart. They haven't installed themselves despite a restart and my computer hasn't asked me if i want to install them so i'm not sure what's going on.

Gullaffe

Gullaffe

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello, I have the exact same problem. I got an Hewlett-Packard 500-312NO. I tried to restore the computer but it didn't allow me to. I also tried to scan the computer for viruses without any sucess.

Kraide

Kraide

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

I have the same problem and i have been looking information about this for the whole weekend but i found nothing. Or now i found this forum. My little Brother and on of my friend has the same problem. I found out that it happens especially with microsoft, logitech and apparently with razer's mices. I tried with one random acer mice and it worked :D no lag anymore. (we all have win 8.1).

My Pc specs. i5 4690, Gtx 970 and 8gb RAM.

This is so strange with the random acer mice it works perfectly fine. But then with razor naga or logitech g300 it starts lagging. I cant believe that it is all about the mice.... Let`s see.

(EDIT:) this happens with intel processors only i think. 

So Windows 8.1+Intel Processor+Logitech,Razor or Microsoft (at least these) mices = lag issues while moving mouse.

Edited by Kraide, 15 March 2015 - 12:41 PM.

RogerMan

RogerMan

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I read elsewhere that the "Intel Technology Access" could be the cause of this problem.  The cursor lag showed up on my Toshiba laptop last week.

Disabling the Intel Technolgy Access seemed to eliminate the problem.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this application?   It seems to be large user of my computer resources.  But, would like to know its purpose before uninstalling it.

trist03

trist03

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having the same issue with my HP as well. Video & sound becomes choppy while playing through vlc when i move my mouse.

Worse if i play my games as it lags me hardcore.

Had to unplug & plug mouse back to make the laptop run normal till at least after 5 mins same issue occurs.

Scanned whole laptop with no issues or whatsoever

Advertisements

Pete-

Pete-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Is this problem recent for everyone?  I noticed the problem again last night and i just tried turning off the "Intel Technology Access" and that seemed to help me as well.  No idea what that program is meant to do.  

trist03

trist03

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This happened to me yesterday hence i did a whole comp. Scan using avg.

No issue reported at all.

I'll try disabling intel technology access but i doubt that this will be a permanent fix till microsoft sort this out???

Avonien

Avonien

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello everyone,

A bit of inside knowledge from - The issue is most likely cause by a windows updates put out 28.2.2015 and 10.3.2015 and it affects most (Acer) laptop and desktop devices running Windows 8 and 8.1 in specific and it is under investigation by both Microsoft and Acer, but unfortunately at the moment the exact update and/or cause is unknown. 

At the moment the only solution is to reinstall the operating system and disable all windows updates or disable the ITA - though this has not solved the issue in all cases. As of now we expect to recieve a more permanent solution withing a week.

(Not an official statement)

Edited by Avonien, 16 March 2015 - 05:56 AM.

RogerMan

RogerMan

• Pip
  • 3 posts

It apparently isn't a problem only with Acer machines.  Mine is a Toshiba Satellite L55t and the problem began on about 10-03-2015, so it fits the timetable.  Thanks for keeping us informed and look forward to a more permanent solution.

Avonien

Avonien

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hey,

A Little update - It has been confirmed that it affects all manufacturers using Windows on their machines and it also affects both amd and intel cpu platform. The issue seems be related to realtek audio drivers - but at this moment I wont go into further details about that until it is confirmed.

Edited by Avonien, 16 March 2015 - 07:56 AM.