Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Cleanup problem

disk cleanup xp

• Please log in to reply

Gasol

Gasol

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hello lads!

Today I was informed by a "balloon type" message that I am running on space in C:

I run disc cleanup > appear the icon, but at the end doesn't load that list with what you can compress, delete etc.

Because of this, I instal CCleaner, but surprise! When I running it, my PC restart. In the program list from start button CCleaner missed. So I enter on C/Program files, find there and click on .exe button. Again the PC was restart.

I search for another free cleaner program, I choose "Yet Another Cleaner STFO" but I can't instal it.

At least I install TuneUP Utilities 2014 (that trial version). After a lot of error messages (one of them sound like this: "SettingCenter.exe - Entry point not found. The procedure entry pont GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll") I run the program and found a lot of problems, I run the fix to it button, appears that was fixed, but the space on C it is still unchanged.

Why can't gain space on disk?

It is a virus? Or maybe a problem with that .dll?

Can you help me?

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello Gasol,

The easiest way to make space on the C: (without downloading additional stuff), would be to go into Start > Control Panel > Programs & Features... then go through the list that populates and start uninstalling stuff from there that you know you don't need or want.  If you're able to remove a few programs that way, then I would try running CCleaner again.

Once you remove some programs and free up at least 10% of the drive, it may behoove you to run a disk defrag on the machine.

Mainly, just try uninstalling some stuff the first way I mentioned, and let us know if this has any effect on your ability to download/run programs.  :yes:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Sounds to me like there may be a problem with the hard drive or file system. Try running chkdsk, see if that fixes anything:

Click on Start then Run, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter.

For your boot drive (usually C:), you will get a window that says the check could not be performed ....
Do you want to schedule this disk check to run the next time you restart the computer?
Click on Yes.

Shutdown and reboot. Chkdsk will start. It can take an hour or more to run depending on the size of your hard drive.

Be patient and let it complete undisturbed.

When it's rebooted, try running CCleaner again.

Gasol

Gasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Unfortunately I remove CCleaner.

But I running chkdsk.

It doesn't fix anything. Stay just one second on that blue screen and said "It is clean" (or something like this).

My sensation it is my C:/ lose a lot of space. Days ago I had about 3,5 Gb free space (from 20Gb btw), and now I have 1,6Gb.

It is frustrating that Disk Cleanup seems doesn't work. That box appear > I select C > said Disk CleanUp it is calculating how much space I will able to free but then, after 1 minute dissapear. without that table when I can select what can/want to delete and what not.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Make this an easy task, I am sure you will gain maybe three gigs.

https://singularlabs...e/system-ninja/

https://privacyroot....www/en/wipe.php

http://www.foolishit...s/duninstaller/

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Had one of these the other day.  The problem was that System Restore was set to use 50% of the drive.   Setting the System Restore to only use 5% (depends on drive size) and removing all but the last System Restore Point recovered a ton of space.  Look in Control panel, System, System Protection, Configure and you will see a slider for the amount of space it can use.  My 1 TB system has it at 1%.