Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desperately needing advise on which computer to buy

• Please log in to reply

wasilla

wasilla

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

I want to buy a new desk top computer and I have no clue what to look for.  What I DO know is that I don't run games on my computer, I don't watch movies on my computer, I don't need Wi-Fi  (I have a broadband connection), I don't need to connect with any other computers and I don't need mass storage. I use my computer mostly for typing reports, editing family photos and surfing the Internet.  What I DO want is a computer than doesn't hang up or slow down if I have several programs open at the same time.  I would also like a computer that doesn't come pre-programed with lots of  "stuff" I don't want.  Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as what I should be looking for? Thanks from Alaska.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Welcome back wasilla.

It is pretty hard to find a pre built computer that does not have junk installed as well as the OS, would you consider building your own?

Please provide your max budget and the country where you will purchase the PC.

wasilla

wasilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible and I'm 50 miles north of Anchorage, Alaska.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the info.

Where you are limits the availability of parts and importing from Canada or other US states would be very hard given the $500 budget.

I have looked at computers from Dell, HP and the like.   At that price range the performance is OK for your needs but, they are built dow to just do the job, always have a weak PSU, and are not meant for upgrade potential.

Consider my suggestion, then you could contact the only store I could find in Anchorage who builds computers, and see what they come up with.   They don't have a estore page, so you need to contact them by phone, > http://www.itscanfix...ows7-computers/

I looked at Best-buy, Office station,and Walmart where I think you would get the best deal.

Take no notice that the computer is tagged "Gamer" as that's just for marketing, the parts are the same as if it was tagged "Office"

http://www.walmart.c...ers:Special Buy

wasilla

wasilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Thank you!!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts