Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External suddenly not recognised

• Please log in to reply

spg

spg

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Yesterday afternoon Windows 8 wanted to update and restart, so I let it and when it restarted my external was just coming up as 'Local Drive (H:)'. I read that mounting virtual drives could be an issue, so I removed all virtual drives with Daemon tools and the drive appeared again. It was running slow, so I unplugged it and when I plugged it in, it didn't work again. I then mounted an iso I had and suddenly the drive was back and working perfectly fine. I was just now watching a file on it when suddenly it froze and audio kept repeating and I've not been able to get it to work since. The same thing happens in every computer I try it with as well.

Advertisements

AgamemnonKing

AgamemnonKing

• Pip
  • 2 posts

If your external drive is going bad, you can always use a universal drive adapter to connect it to your computer in order to take any files on it and transfer them to another external.

I had a 500 gig Western Digital and a 2 TB Seagate external freeze up and became unrecognized by my operating system windows 7 Ultimate, and so I purchased a universal drive adapter online for $35.00 including shipping and handling and after dismantling the external, I connected it to my computer and switched all the files to my new 4 TB external.

Funny thing is both the 500 gig WD and the 2 TB works fine since I slipped each into a protective sleeve and use it via the universal drive adapter.

The only other avenue available to you to retrieve any information on your external would be to use a recovery service whose fee would usually start at $800.00 and they will be doing exactly what I described to you above. You can also see detailed steps on youtube.

Personally I think my $35.00 solution is much better than the recovery service as you can still use the adapter on other hard drives from laptops to tower units.