Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 Slow Startup & "Improper Shutdown" in Event Vi

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Seems my thinking about correct Shutdown was old fashaoned, so now up to speed after reading this article. > http://www.howtogeek...e-power-button/

the first error looks like a coorrupted or missing file.

The second error can happen if your accessing Windows Store from a Local Account??? or do you have a Microsoft account?

The above can also prevent Windows Update from working.   From you Speccy Log, there are only Hot Fixes for Windows Defender, can't see any for Windows Update.

I think we need to check windows first, then address other problems. Please insure you are connected to the mains, then run (SFC.exe)

https://support.micr...kb/929833/en-us

Advertisements

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I'm using a local account, yes. Then I manually sign in to Windows Store. It nags me about how much 'easier' it'd be if I used a Microsoft account for Windows 8.1 login, but otherwise works seamlessly. Likewise, to the best of my knowledge, my Windows Update works fine when initiated. I just have it set not to do anything automatically (and, in fact, manually update my Defender definitions). My slow, rural internet peaks at 300 kb/s but usually runs around 100 kb/s, and since the home network is shared between three tablets -- two of which have unstoppable, huge automatic updates -- and two laptops, things get ugly quickly when programs/devices start fighting for bandwidth.

I had found out earlier there's a corrupted file that SFC couldn't fix, though googling led to information that it's something minor/related to support for Canon brand printers (my only printer is HP branded and not installed on this system, so I'm not sure if that's accurate). I'll run it again tomorrow like requested, just to be sure there's no other issues. But for now, I need to head out.

Also, by connected to the mains, do you mean plugged into a power outlet?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, plugged into a power outlet.

Without a MS account the failed to sinc will keep occurring, I have seen a number of "fixes" but some have caused more problems, so I think leave well alone. 

Please check your windows update history,  Do you have Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based Systems (KB2919355). installed?

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click View update history.

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

So, this is weird. While it's not listed in the update history, according to this page from Microsoft (which I found when looking for the update's file size), if I have the search and power button up there I'm using the update. And I do have those buttons.

The only thing I can think of is that either HP uses a different image that has the update pre-included when making their native Windows 8.1 systems or it was installed when the unit was refurbished but the logs were wiped afterward as part of the process.

Edited by devilbear, 20 March 2015 - 06:05 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I don't think Dell/HP can directly influence Windows Update, it is configured in the OS.

I would change Update setting to download and install only Important updates automatically,  just before going to bed so you get max bandwidth.   Inspect what updates were instilled the next day, then set it again if you prefer a different configuration.   Also see if there are any hidden updates.

http://www.7tutorial...update-settings

What was the result for SFC?

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

There we go! There's actually a fair few in the 'hidden' list, including the one you asked about.

kksKE2R.png

TEvMGcu.png

The results for SFC were the same as before, indicating that one file is corrupt and cannot be repaired. It's the same file from before, which Googling leads to sites saying it's a minor file related to Canon printers. No other files seem to be out of order according to SFC, thankfully.

I'm also still seeing clean boots now... And now that I think of it, the one and only consistent thing I've changed is that I've left my wireless Logitech M525 mouse plugged in. Previously, I had it installed but unplugged, as I was using it on my older laptop (the touchpad for which is horrible) while working on file transfers and whatnot. I don't know why that would interfere with shutdown, but it does make me wonder. Would be nice if that's the cause, as I don't need to unplug it anymore.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Unhide those updates before doing the bedtime update, providing you configure to only install important updates, you will not get any not absolutely needed.

Good for SFC.

don't know if this would apply for the USB mouse.   When you have Ready Boot enabled and use the Power Button or Desk Top applets,  the computer does not fully shut down, it saves system setting, similar to Hibernation, but without user files.

If you had a USB device connected when you shut down, then it was not present when you reboot, you can get errors, and visa versa. 

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

It'll actually be some time before I can do any updates because my schedule is off-kilter (I sleep when everyone else is awake, more or less), though I'd hope no issues would arise from them anyway so ideally that'll be a pleasant and mostly seamless experience.

As for the mouse, then I don't suppose that'd be it. I've only ever unplugged it while the system was Ready Boot 'shutdown' once; all other times, I unplugged while the system was still on. I find it strange that it happened so many times, then just... stopped happening. Not a bad strange, obviously, since I'm glad the issue seems to have disappeared. But strange.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup: .

will wait for update results before proceeding.