Hi. My name is Brian, and I would be happy to look into your issue.
- General Instructions -
- Please read all instructions and fixes thoroughly. Read the ENTIRE post BEFORE performing any steps so you understand all that needs to be done.
- I would advise printing any instructions for easy reference as some of the fixes may require you to boot in Safe mode. Access to these instructions may not be available in Safe Mode.
- Any fixes provided by myself are for this log file only and should not be used on any other systems.
- Do not run any other removal software or perform updates other than the ones I provide, as it will complicate the cleaning process.
- It's very likely that part of our cleanup will include emptying your recycle bin. If you use your recycle bin as an archive and do not wish this to be emptied, please let me know.
- You have 4 days to reply to each post or the topic will be closed. You will be able to request that the topic be re-opened by sending me a PM (Personal Message) or PM a moderator.
- Please feel free to ask any questions, especially if you are having problems with my instructions.
- Save ALL Tools to your Desktop-
All tools that I have you download should be placed on the desktop unless otherwise stated. If you are familiar with how to save files to the desktop then you can skip this step.
Since you are continuing with this step then I assume you are unfamiliar with saving files to your desktop. As a result it's easiest if you configure your browser(s) to download any tools to the desktop by default. Please use the appropriate instructions below depending on the browser you are using.
Google Chrome - Click the "Customize and control Google Chrome" button in the upper right-corner of the browser. Choose Settings. at the bottom of the screen click the
"Show advanced settings..." link. Scroll down to find the Downloads section and click the Change... button. Select your desktop and click OK.
Mozilla Firefox - Click the "Open Menu" button in the upper right-corner of the browser. Choose Options. In the downloads section, click the Browse button, click on the Desktop folder
and the click the "Select Folder" button. Click OK to get out of the Options menu.
Internet Explorer - Click the Tools menu in the upper right-corner of the browser. Select View downloads. Select the Options link in the lower left of the window. Click Browse and
select the Desktop and then choose the Select Folder button. Click OK to get out of the download options screen and then click Close to get out of the View Downloads screen.
NOTE: IE8 Does not support changing download locations in this manner. You will need to download the tool(s) to the default folder, usually Downloads, then copy them to the desktop.
- Finally Before We Start-
Removing malware is a complicated multiple step process, Please stay with me until I have declared your system clean. I strongly recommend you backup your personal files and folders. Although rare, attempting to remove malware can render your machine unbootable or cause data loss. Having backups of your data is your responsibility. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
Hi and sorry for the delay in responding. As an FYI, your signature block has a dead link in it (http://amandajwillia...blogspot.co.uk/).
What you experienced is what is commonly referred to as a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). Something was going on that the system didn't like so it shut itself down to protect itself. As long as it doesn't happen again you should be OK. However we'll check a few things just to be sure. Please do the following.
Step#1 - Warnings
Verify Windows Defender
No AV detected. It's critical that you have a reputable antivirus software installed on your machine at all times. One AV is a must have! But never more than one, as this can and will cause conflicts and false readings. Before continuing on we need to verify/enable the built-in AV Windows Defender.
Please verify that Windows Defender is enabled.
1. Click your Start button.
2. Type Defender and then click on Windows Defender in the search results.
3. Enable Windows Defender. Please let me know if you can't or if a message comes up.
Spybot Search & Destroy
I see that you have Spybot Search & Destroy. We no longer recommend this product because of the poor testing results. I recommend uninstalling this program. If you don't want to uninstall the program then please at least disable Tea Timer while performing any of my instructions. You can re-enable it when we are all done. Instructions for that are here. If you do decide to uninstall the program, first Undo your immunization before uninstalling. You can do that by clicking the Undo button with Spybot S&D and then remove from Add/Remove programs.
I see that you have CCleaner installed. This is indeed a good product but I wanted to caution you on running the registry cleaning functionality of the tool. Please avoid this as it can do more harm than good.
Step#2 - FRST Fix
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system
1. Download attached file and save it to the Desktop. fixlist.txt 58bytes 37 downloads
Note. It's important that both files, FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work (in this case...the desktop).
2. Run FRST64 by Right-Clicking on the file and choosing Run as administrator.
3. Press the Fix button just once and wait. If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
4. When finished FRST64 will generate a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please post the contents of it in your reply.
Step#3 - Rootkit Scan
1. Download aswMBR to your desktop.
2. Right-click on aswMBR.exe and select Run as administrator to run it.
3. If you get a question about Virtualization Technology, answer Yes.
4. If you see this question: Would you like to download latest Avast! virus definitions?" say "Yes".
5. Click the "Scan" button to start scan.
6. On completion of the scan click "Save log", save it to your desktop and post in your next reply.
NOTE. aswMBR will create MBR.dat file on your desktop. This is a copy of your MBR. Do NOT delete it.
Items for your next post
1. How did Windows Defender go?
2. FRST Fix log
3. Rootkit Scan Log