Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Debug Assertion Failed

c++ debug assertion failed lenovo laptop energy management

• Please log in to reply

Rainer94

Rainer94

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Alright, not sure if this is the right forum but I'm posting here anyways.

A couple days ago, I began receiving a message on my Lenovo Windows 8 laptop. I would have posted a pic of the message but was unable to. Here is what it read:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Debug Assertion Failed!

Program: ...am Files (x86)\Lenovo\Energy Management\Energy Management.exe

File: C:\Users\xinlychen\Desktop\EM Source code\EM8.0.2.4Forsignoff\PM8.032&645\EnergyCut\UI\ZRegistry.h

Line: 148

For information on how your program can cause an assertion

failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts.

(Press Retry to debug the application)

I'll then be given the option to either: Abort   Retry  or   Ignore. I've clicked all three separate times, with the system eventually crashing. I'll have a black desktop with random, blank files added to it. And I'm not able to open an windows or programs. I'll restart the computer and the process will repeat a few minutes after restarting. Sometimes the computer will crash right away, others i'll be able to keep using Google Chrome or Microsoft Office for a while if it's already open. I don't remember downloading any files, adding any programs and I've never meddled with C++ or Energy Management. I've also restored my laptop to a point a few days earlier before all this started, and I'm still having the same trouble. I had this same issue a few months back, only Kaspersky: Pure 3.0 detected a program that was causing some trouble. After it was deleted, everything went back to normal. This time however, I've run two full scans with Kaspersky, but nothing was detected.

Whats the best way to go about this?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   Rainer94,

Apologies for the delay in you receiving a reply to your OP  :(

Try a Windows 8 Refresh, this is intended to repair Windows without affecting your personal documents etc, excuse the title of the tutorial but you will find the refresh steps here

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page.