Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Setup a LAN when you don't have internet connection

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

We have moved and wont have internet connection for some weeks.

I want to setup the wired network so I can access printers, NAS etc in the meantime.

The property has been pre-wired and I have plugged the ADSL Modem router into the correct outlet, plugged the printer into its outlet, powered them all on and "Nothing"

I tried resetting everything, downloading Netgear genie and still nothing. I tried plugging in a VOIP phone to see if it would show up, but Nope.

The Modem does keep yelling at me that it can't connect to the internet, which it obviously can't as we don't have a service. Do I have to tell it to stop trying or turn off the modem part of the router?

So I had 2 thoughts

1) someone else will have done this and will have written a guide, because I need to reconfigure something

2) maybe the cables are broken, but not sure of a simple way to check this without buying a tester

I would be eternally grateful if someone can point me in the right direction

thanks Ian

The router is a Neatgear DGND3700v2, Xerox printer and a home made Freenas NAS box

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,139 posts

Make sure the Neatgear router have the DHCP server enabled and that the printer and the Nas are set to get IP address automatically.

I'm not sure if the Freenas web interface show the current IP if not open the console and type ifconfig eth0 to check if the system got an IP address.