Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

same problem as laziboi (wbemtest.exe, etc..)

• Please log in to reply

nrussellmn

nrussellmn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the same problem as laziboi posted (outwardly manifested as favorites that keep appearing for "free online dating", "kill annoying popups", etc... and browser randomly redirecting to sites such as neogambling.com).

I just got this a couple days ago. Was looking at it yesterday. It seems that ANY file created as "*TEST.exe" gets created but is completely invisible to directory searches. You can "copy con ABCTest.exe" as an example and change contents even though you cannot see file (but can view contents via "type ABCTest.exe"). You then cannot remove that directory because you cannot delete the file. Booting to "safe mode w/ command prompt" changes nothing. I booted safe mode and then killed as many processes/services as possible without shutting down PC. It seems to be in one of the core processes as none of them seemed to have an unusual name (I work on computers).

I'm thinking of booting NTFSDOS program from diskette/CD or the like to try a DOS mode scan. Please advise

Advertisements