Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

zeck1510

zeck1510

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi Guys, I do need some advice.

I'm planning to buy Window 7 cd to do a reformat and reinstall of Windows onto 2 of my computers. But I understand that the CD only comes with 1 CD Key.  

How do I actually install it to 2 computers since I only have 1 CD key.

And also the other computer of mine is operated on Windows XP. Can I install Windows 7 on it? Will it have any compatibility problems if Windows 7 is installed? 

Hope someone could help me on it.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:    zeck1510,

As an individual user you can use the same disk to install Windows to any amount of computers that you want to but only as long as you purchase a separate licence key for each computer, in short you would need to purchase one product key for each computer.

JFYI: The only way that the same product key can be used on more than one computer is if it is a Volume Licence Key (VLK) this is what large corporations use on their computers and they are not financially viable for individual users, VLK explained here

Before attempting to install Windows 7 on the XP computer, download and then run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from here

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Edit to add, Philpower posted while I was still writing, I think we more or less said the same things though, just in a different way. LOL.

Firstly, a warning!

Considering that Microsoft have stopped selling Windows 7 some time since, the correct and genuine Microsoft DVD is now getting harder to find, some dealers may still have real ones however there will be quite a lot of illegal copies out there, so beware and be sure you buy from a reputable source. A fake copy will give trouble at some time later, usually resulting in the message on screen that it is not a genuine copy of Windows 7 with eventually a disabled system.

If the DVD you buy is genuine and for only one computer, that is all it is licensed to do, so if requiring more than one computer to be upgraded to Windows 7 you need to buy two or more licenses. With Microsoft no longer selling, that will mean more than one DVD. The only other way is to obtain what is known as a volume license, read a bit more about it from here :-

http://www.microsoft...g/windows7.aspx

As far as finding out if an older computer can run Windows 7, Microsoft have a scanner that can detect if the current hardware will work with it.

Have a look here and download the scanner to the computer in question.

https://www.microsof...ails.aspx?id=20

Hope that helps.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 22 March 2015 - 02:50 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I'm planning to buy Window 7 cd to do a reformat and reinstall of Windows onto 2 of my computers. But I understand that the CD only comes with 1 CD Key.  

And also the other computer of mine is operated on Windows XP. Can I install Windows 7 on it? Will it have any compatibility problems if Windows 7 is installed? 

Does the other computer (the non XP one) have a Windows 7 COA sticker on it somewhere. If yes then you can use the key from it to install Windows 7 with as long as it's the same version (Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate, etc.). If this is true then you can use the key that comes with the one you buy on the XP computer when you install.

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Thanks a lot Phillpower2 and Plastic Nev for your detailed explanation. Really appreciate it.

I guess I need to click on the link you guys have given me and read more on it to understand the theories of reinstalling windows.

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Does the other computer (the non XP one) have a Windows 7 COA sticker on it somewhere. If yes then you can use the key from it to install Windows 7 with as long as it's the same version (Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate, etc.). If this is true then you can use the key that comes with the one you buy on the XP computer when you install.

It does not have the Windows 7 sticker on it.

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

What about the 32bit version and 64bit version. Can I install let's say 64bit Windows 7 version on a 32bit Windows 7 current version i'm having right now?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi again, providing the hardware will support 64bit operation then yes, the Microsoft scan will tell you if the hardware will support 64bit.

Though if your not sure, let us know the full make and model number if a manufactured PC, or if a machine built either for or by you let us know the motherboard make and model, processor make and model, and RAM.

Nev.

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi again, providing the hardware will support 64bit operation then yes, the Microsoft scan will tell you if the hardware will support 64bit.

Though if your not sure, let us know the full make and model number if a manufactured PC, or if a machine built either for or by you let us know the motherboard make and model, processor make and model, and RAM.

Nev.

Oh got it. Thanks Nev.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You cannot use the same install key to install the 32 and 64 bit versions. You will need two separate keys for that.

You can use the key to install either one, just not both. One key, one install of Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit.

Advertisements

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

You cannot use the same install key to install the 32 and 64 bit versions. You will need two separate keys for that.

You can use the key to install either one, just not both. One key, one install of Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit.

Understood. Thanks Ztruker. I believe if I were to purchase more product keys then the only way is to purchase it online through Microsoft website right?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Microsoft doesn't have Windows 7 keys for sale any more that I'm aware of. All you can get from them now is Windows 8.1, which is a good OS once you install a Start button program like Start8 or Classic Shell.

Ebay is your best bet but it's a crap shoot as to what you will get. For instance: Windows 7 Product Key Ebay

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Microsoft doesn't have Windows 7 keys for sale any more that I'm aware of. All you can get from them now is Windows 8.1, which is a good OS once you install a Start button program like Start8 or Classic Shell.

Ebay is your best bet but it's a crap shoot as to what you will get. For instance: Windows 7 Product Key Ebay

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello zeck1510,

If the computer that has Windows 7 on the HDD is functional you can find the Microsoft product key for the present W7 installation by using the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder (free) download from here make a note of it, store it somewhere safe and do not reveal the details to anyone else  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Hello zeck1510,

If the computer that has Windows 7 on the HDD is functional you can find the Microsoft product key for the present W7 installation by using the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder (free) download from here make a note of it, store it somewhere safe and do not reveal the details to anyone else  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)

This is true if Windows 7 was installed by the user. If the computer came with Windows 7 installed then what MJB will show is the VLK (Volume License Key) used by the manufacturer. That key will not work on a reinstall.

Edit: Having said the above, I just found this thread:  http://www.geekstogo...21-no-more-oem/