Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop not connecting to a working available wifi connections

• Please log in to reply

matbur

matbur

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Firstly, I'm not completely sure this post belongs here so sorry if it needs to be moved. 

I've noticed over the last month my laptop is getting slower in picking up available wifi connections, which are set to connect automatically. 

I had a problem with adware at around the same time and wonder whether this is a factor or just coincidence. Usually the wifi would connect pretty much instantly upon the laptop booting up however there's now a noticeable delay.

Recently, my laptop has also begun not connecting to available wifi connections which I've used previously. This has happened with two different connections in different locations - the laptop shows the connection as being available (the connections definitely work as other devices are connected), but I get a message saying my laptop is unable to connect. Shortly afterwards it then connects by itself as normal. 

I'm guessing there may be something up with my wireless detector, or a setting might have changed? Any ideas?

Edited by matbur, 23 March 2015 - 03:54 AM.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi matbur :)

For your two different connection issues, I suggest you to remove these networks from your "Saved Networks" and re-add them when you'll connect back to them. I can send you instructions to do that, but I'll need more information on your system.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • Flush DNS;
    • Report IE Proxy Settings;
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings;
    • Report FF Proxy Settings;
    • Reset FF Proxy Settings;
    • List content of Hosts;
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
    • List Devices - Only Problems;
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size;
      ZrlQbFb.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;