Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba SATA HDD 500GB - Not detected by PC

• Please log in to reply

zeck1510

zeck1510

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi Guys, I do need some help.

Recently installed a Toshiba hard drive to my system. But it seems the Toshiba hard drive is not detected in BIOS and Disk Management. Do I need a driver for the hard disk drive? I have attached a picture for you guys to have a look at.

Hope to receive some help.

Motherboard - Acer Aspire M1831

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150315_153220.jpg

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

fairly difficult to tell in that picture, but is the power plugged in to the drive? you don't need a driver for bios to detect it. you don't even need it to be formatted for bios to see it.

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi dsenette, thanks for the reply.

I actually have plugged in the power to the drive. 1 SATA cable connected to the SATA port to the HDD and another is the power cable plugged to the HDD. 

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

the drive on the right in the cage is an old drive? it looks disconnected from power is that correct? unplug the SATA connector from it, and plug in the new drive in it's place and see if it's detected in bios

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Isn't that the main drive. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

It's actually my first time opening up my system unit to add an extra HDD therefore I'm confused on it. 

What i'll do is I will take a nearer picture and post is here for you to take a look. 

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I have tried to remove out the SATA & power cables and plugged both to the HDD again. Still back to the same. Could not be detected in BIOS. Only SATA port 1 & 2 detected.

SATA port 1 - Hard disk drive

SATA port 2 - Optical drive

SATA port 3 - Not detected

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150324_235854.jpg

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

sorry,didn't reply earlier, yes i'll assume the one I was talking about was your original hard drive. what I'd like for you to test is to disconnect the original hard drive, and connect the new one to the same cables that the original was connected to. leave the original disconnected, and try to see if the new one is shown in bios.

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

sorry,didn't reply earlier, yes i'll assume the one I was talking about was your original hard drive. what I'd like for you to test is to disconnect the original hard drive, and connect the new one to the same cables that the original was connected to. leave the original disconnected, and try to see if the new one is shown in bios.

Okay i'll try. Thanks.

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I've tried to disconnect the original hard drive and connect the same cable to the new one. Original disconnected.

BIOS could still not detect the new hard drive. I guess the new hard drive should be faulty.

Thanks a lot for the assistance.