Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer will print connected to USB but not network wired connection

hp laserjet pro pcl xl error

• Please log in to reply

Gee Buttersnaps

Gee Buttersnaps

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Ok so I had an HP LaserJet 4000n.  A relic, I know.  But it was working...  I was primarily using it connected via wired network and printing from a Win 8.1 64bit PC.  Friday it worked fine.  Monday morning (today) everything I printed gave me a PCL XL ERROR  and the specific error code varied each time.  Sometimes it was a internetalError, missingdata, illegaltag

Always something like that. 

I search the HP and Windows support centers and find no real help.  I realize that HP doesn't carry a driver for that printer with win 8.1x64 so I get the universal printer driver... no luck.

So I finally get frustrated after having tried the PCL 6 driver, PCL 5, PS and having no luck, so I decide that maybe some update has caused it to stop supporting that driver.  So I go out and get a new printer (needed one anyway, the 4000n was getting a bit cranky).  I get an HP LaserJet Pro 400 m401dne.  Install it with the network.  same problem... exact same freaking problem...

finally in a last ditch effort I install the printer to the PC via the USB connection.  When printing from there it works great.  No errors, no problems. 

I can make do with it being a USB printer, no problem.  We really only use it from one computer anyway, but does anyone have a clue why this would be?

I've rebooted my router, switched ports the ethernet coord was plugged in, changed coords... no luck...

H-E-L-P!?!?!?

Edited by Gee Buttersnaps, 23 March 2015 - 04:48 PM.

Advertisements

nordvark

nordvark

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Can you ping your printer?

Also suggest you set the printer to a static ip outside the routers dhcp pool, and make sure the printer is on the same subnet as your network. Check your printer is set to use your routers gateway address. If all of those are correct it should show some form of life.

Edited by nordvark, 24 March 2015 - 08:17 PM.