Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc wont boot or post

• Please log in to reply

Africanlion

Africanlion

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Running Linuxmint and out of the blue pc wouldnt boot at all or post. There is no sound of the fans and nothing happens on the screen. I have tried reseating the RAM and it made no difference.

The only indications that power is getting through are a blinking yellow light at the front buttonfor switching off and a solid yellow light inside

I have tried the Linux forum and they reckon its a hardware issue

Please help

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello Africanlion,

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Africanlion

Africanlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hello Africanlion,

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

System:    Host: africamlion-Dimension-5000 Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   System: Dell product: Dimension 5000
           Mobo: Dell model: 0W5363 Bios: Dell version: A07 date: 11/08/2005
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-HT-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 5985.05 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2992.525 MHz 2: 2992.525 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: [email protected] 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV370 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Creative Labs SB Audigy driver: snd_emu10k1 port: c8c0 bus-ID: 04:00.0 Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card: Broadcom BCM4401 100Base-T driver: b44 ver: 2.0 bus-ID: 04:03.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 82.0GB (27.5% used) 1: /dev/sda Maxtor_6Y080M0 82.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 76G used: 21G (30%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 0.53GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info:      Processes: 141 Uptime: 2:41 Memory: 833.0/1505.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
africanlion Level 3
3.gif   Posts: 125 Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:33 am
  •  
  •  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

I suspected that the computer was a Dell after reading the following in your OP;

The only indications that power is getting through are a blinking yellow light at the front buttonfor switching off and a solid yellow light inside

A failed PSU and/or motherboard are both strong contenders and as you cannot hear any fans running I would suspect and therefore check the PSU first, are you comfortable with working inside a computer.

Africanlion

Africanlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I suspected that the computer was a Dell after reading the following in your OP;

A failed PSU and/or motherboard are both strong contenders and as you cannot hear any fans running I would suspect and therefore check the PSU first, are you comfortable with working inside a computer.

i wouldnt say i am comfortable but i have taken it apart and have full access to inside. So which one is the psu.

Is there a way of testing these components and i am praying my documents and photos are safe, please god

Edited by Africanlion, 24 March 2015 - 04:49 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Thanks for the reply.

While Phillpower2 is offline I will row the boat for a while.

The PSU is at the top/back.   I think it is a 306 Watt, would be useful if you can write down , brand/model.

If you have any other means of accessing the Web, please download the owners and service manuals.

http://www.dell.com/...on-5000/manuals

Before working inside the computer, every time, switch off the PSU and monitor, take anti static measure by briefly touching a bare metal part of the computer case.

The lights showing both indicate,

I F THE POWER LIGHT I S BLINKING AMBER — The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist. • Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable). • Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board, disconnect ev ery powr plug on the MB then reconnect. 

Reseat the following, RAM, and if applicable, the video and sound card/s.\\If the issue persists, most likely the PSU failed, or, A SOLID AMBER LED ON THE MB, indicateda hardware fault.

Have you access to a PSU that can be used to test the rig?

Africanlion

Africanlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Gday.

Thanks for the reply.

While Phillpower2 is offline I will row the boat for a while.

The PSU is at the top/back.   I think it is a 306 Watt, would be useful if you can write down , brand/model.

If you have any other means of accessing the Web, please download the owners and service manuals.

http://www.dell.com/...on-5000/manuals

Before working inside the computer, every time, switch off the PSU and monitor, take anti static measure by briefly touching a bare metal part of the computer case.

The lights showing both indicate,

I F THE POWER LIGHT I S BLINKING AMBER — The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist. • Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable). • Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board, disconnect ev ery powr plug on the MB then reconnect. 

Reseat the following, RAM, and if applicable, the video and sound card/s.\\If the issue persists, most likely the PSU failed, or, A SOLID AMBER LED ON THE MB, indicateda hardware fault.

Have you access to a PSU that can be used to test the rig?

Sorry i don understand the highlighted, whats the rig?

Is the psu easy to access by any chance?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Excuse the title of the tutorial How to Replace Your Desktop PC’s Power Supply In addition to the information at the link, get yourself some sticky tape that can be written on, use this to identify where each connection from the PSU goes.

Rig = The computer/hardware.

Africanlion

Africanlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Excuse the title of the tutorial How to Replace Your Desktop PC’s Power Supply In addition to the information at the link, get yourself some sticky tape that can be written on, use this to identify where each connection from the PSU goes.

Rig = The computer hardware.

Thank you very much i will attempt the above

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Let us know when the PSU has been removed and I will provide the instructions for how you can do a basic test to see if your PSU will power up at all.

Advertisements

Africanlion

Africanlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Gday.Thanks for the reply.While Phillpower2 is offline I will row the boat for a while. The PSU is at the top/back.   I think it is a 306 Watt, would be useful if you can write down , brand/model.If you have any other means of accessing the Web, please download the owners and service manuals.> http://www.dell.com/...on-5000/manuals Before working inside the computer, every time, switch off the PSU and monitor, take anti static measure by briefly touching a bare metal part of the computer case.The lights showing both indicate,I F THE POWER LIGHT I S BLINKING AMBER The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist. Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable). Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board, disconnect ev ery powr plug on the MB then reconnect. Reseat the following, RAM, and if applicable, the video and sound card/s.\\If the issue persists, most likely the PSU failed, or, A SOLID AMBER LED ON THE MB, indicateda hardware fault. Have you access to a PSU that can be used to test the rig?

Model of PSU Dell N 305P-00

Thanks

Edited by Africanlion, 25 March 2015 - 04:17 PM.

Africanlion

Africanlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I have now taken out the PSU

Attached Thumbnails

• 2015-03-25 23.24.21.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

when Phillpower2 gives you instructions for testing the PSU, it needs to be outside of the case, not touching internal parts, or it may cause a short.

From the info on the PSU, please give the brand and model number.

On this link, see last couple of pagers, Power Supply DC Connector Pin Assignments > http://downloads.del...anual_en-us.pdf

Africanlion

Africanlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

when Phillpower2 gives you instructions for testing the PSU, it needs to be outside of the case, not touching internal parts, or it may cause a short.

From the info on the PSU, please give the brand and model number.

On this link, see last couple of pagers, Power Supply DC Connector Pin Assignments > http://downloads.del...anual_en-us.pdf

I gave model number as N 305P-00

So i need get into the PSU box yeah?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

To drop in, NO do not open the PSU box, just remove it completely from the computer is all, If possible take a picture of the label on the PSU, that model number may not be enough to find out what it is.

When removing the PSU, as suggested earlier, disconnect each connection, then with tape attached, mark where the connection goes back to when it is replaced again.

Nev.