Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse freezes after login

• Please log in to reply

cros4t

cros4t

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Hi! My mouse freezes after login.  It works fine until the system is completely up.  I have tried updating driver (the mouse will work while the driver screen is up) but that doesn't work, I can't roll it back to a previous driver, according to my computerarrow-10x10.png there isn't one.  I bought a new mouse, but it's still the same problem.  I am using a different computer as I have no idea how to use mine without a mouse.  I am running Windows 7 (it's says in the bottom corner it is not a genuine copy though it came pre-installed with no disc).

Advertisements

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I am embarrassed to say that I could not find the "safe mode".  I hit escape during startup and several options came up (diagnostics, boot menu and a few others).  I tried system boot and my system comes up as a dark blue screen (though the mouse does move).  I did some searching and found that if I bring up the task manager and type in explorer.exe in new task, the screen comes up and the mouse still works.  Is this safe mode or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello cros4t,

Try restarting the computer and continually tapping the F8 key.

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Tried the F8 (and F9) keys and it does not work.  It is a network boot that allows the mouse to move but what I can do is very limited.  I tried to uninstall the driver, but the device manager won't even come up.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello cros4t,

Let's try unplugging the mouse and any other unimportant USB device you have. USB keyboard, USB mouse, USB flash drive, USB external drive....whatever. If it doesn't need to be on there, take it out.

Start up the computer. Once it loads up Windows, try plugging the keyboard and mouse back in. What should happen is Windows, having already loaded the USB drivers and such, will see you plugging in the USB devices again and it will try to detect what they are and get the necessary drivers to make them work.

Edited by Fusionbomb, 31 March 2015 - 09:27 PM.

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I think it's fixed.  I finally figured out how to get the safe mode and uninstall it.  I have turned it off and on a couple of times and it seems to be working.  Thank you guys soooooo much!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

As the computer appears stable with the present settings please ensure that you create a new restore point;

1. Open System by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2. In the left pane, click System protection18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.

4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

Can I ask how you got into Safe Mode, the information may benefit others in the same or a similar position  :thumbsup:

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I had a serious duhh moment.  :oops: I was hitting F8 at the wrong time.  Now I know to hit it before the login screen comes up.  I created a restore point too.  Thanks for that tidbit.  I would not have thought of it.  I appreciate all the help.  Now on to a different forum to fix the other computer. :smashcomp:  

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I take that last post back. It's still not working.  Whenever I turn my computer off and back on, either the mouse freezes, or it's a black screen and I have to do a control+alt+delete, run task: explorer.exe to get my screen to come up.  If I do that, the mouse works until I turn it off again.  I do have two updates that haven't updated for months. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

There may be an underlying fault that is causing the mouse not to work, as to what, we may have a better idea if we have details of the computer itself, see my canned text below;

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

JFYI: The BIOS chip provides the drivers up to the point that Windows takes control of the computer, if Windows has no generic drivers for any device and you do not have the required third party drivers installed the particular hardware item/s will not work, this is how items such as USB keyboards and mice will work up to the point that Windows has booted, where a computer has PS/2 type ports for a wired keyboard and mouse it is an easy check if you happen to have a wired keyboard and mouse available.

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard from you for a while Cros4t, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I apologize for the delay.  I haven't been able to get the computer to do much.  I tried to run the all in one repair, but I get an error message that says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them."  This is an HP Pavillion p6-2133w  Desktop.  Windows 7 Home Premium was pre-installed with no back-up disc.  8gb ram with 7.48 usable.  

And I have both wired keyboard and mouse.

Edited by cros4t, 18 April 2015 - 05:16 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them." 

Are you logged in as an Administrator, for "how to" and other things to check see here

where a computer has PS/2 type ports for a wired keyboard and mouse it is an easy check if you happen to have a wired keyboard and mouse available.

Having checked the computer specs here your keyboard and mouse are the wired USB type and not the PS/2 type so it is back to driver issue/s if the AIO tool does not resolve the problem.

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I am logged in as an administrator.  I checked just to be sure.  I understand that it may be counter-productive, but I changed it back to the original settings (and then back again) and now I cannot connect to the internet.  The mouse did work fine in that mode though.  I am trying to get that back on, but time is working against me as I will be out of town for a few days.  My keyboard and mouse are the kind that have a regular plug into the back of the computer.  I did buy a usb wired mouse, but the issue was the same. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
 I understand that it may be counter-productive, but I changed it back to the original settings (and then back again) 

To what original settings are you referring please.

This is an HP Pavillion p6-2133w  Desktop

The full specs including for the MB can be found here

My keyboard and mouse are the kind that have a regular plug into the back of the computer.

Is the computer at the above link the correct one or has the MB ever been changed, the reason that I ask is because the Pegatron AAHD3-HB (Hibiscus) MB that the computer shipped with does not have PS/2 ports that accept the type of keyboard and mouse connections shown below;

Put this thread on hold until you return if you need to.