Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not sure where my problem lies.

• Please log in to reply

atumak

atumak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hey phil, I will run a speccy report shortly. Sorry for the delay.

Edit: http://speccy.pirifo...F3gsBu0Qktw5Spb

Edited by atumak, 25 April 2015 - 01:09 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

Speccy is again showing the same problems with the PSU output and the pagefile being too large, the high +12V rail output will cause overheating and screen artifacts and the low +3.3V rail output will cause stability issues with the memory, PCI-E and PCI slots, too large a pagefile will affect the data copy/transfer rate between the Ram, HDD and software/programs etc. 

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 
14 %
Total Physical: 
12 GB
Available Physical: 
10 GB
Total Virtual: 
30 GB
Available Virtual: 
28 GB

Voltage
CPU CORE: 
1.120 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 
0.928 V
+3.3V: 
1.040 V
+5V: 
5.027 V
+12V: 
13.248 V
-12V: 
(12.032) V
-5V: 
(12.096) V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD: 
5.080 V
CMOS BATTERY: 
3.184 V

Changing the size of the pagefile and trying a known good PSU with an appropriate power and amps output are the first two things that should be done;

1. Open System by clicking the Start button  , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
2. In the left pane, click Advanced system settings.   If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
4. Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.
5. Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.
6. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
7. Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK. (Remember that with 12GB of Ram for best performance it should be no more than 18GB)

GooSeSmith

GooSeSmith

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

I agree with Phil here, bad or failing PSU. The first sentence of your post was the tell tell sign "Computer went haywire after power outage" the final nail in the coffin was the irregular voltages from the diags.

To keep this from happening again I suggest purchasing a Battery Backup from APC or other credited manufacturer. APC warranties this type of things from happening when connected to their brand of surge protectors and battery backup units.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

Not heard from you for a while atumak, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

atumak

atumak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hello, I am sorry for leaving the thread for a while. I am currently just watching for a deal on a new PSU as I don't have access to a test unit. There are so many options out there I'm not really sure what to look for.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

The PSU that you should purchase will depend on what the hardware requires and predominantly any add on video card, what do you intend using for the graphics in the long term.