Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 Updates won't download or install

• Please log in to reply

mfrank1

mfrank1

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

For some time now, my Dell XPS 8700 with 12GB is refusing to download and/or install Windows updates, automatically or manually.  I get different error messages, the last one being 0x80073712.  DSIM tells me files are reparable, but can't find the files needed to do the replacing. I'm wondering if I can get those files from another Windows 8.1 machine I have here, and point DSIM to them.  Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Advertisements

Lucky123

Lucky123

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Here is an article that may help you out some - Windows Update error 0x80073712

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Thank you Lucky123.  I came across that article and tried the fixes suggested.  Although the Troubleshooter indicated in fixed some problems, I still couldn't download the updates.  Similarly, DISM replied that files were reparable, but couldn't find a source for replacement files.  I'm really trying to avoid refreshing my PC.

Lucky123

Lucky123

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Thank you Lucky123.  I came across that article and tried the fixes suggested.  Although the Troubleshooter indicated in fixed some problems, I still couldn't download the updates.  Similarly, DISM replied that files were reparable, but couldn't find a source for replacement files.  I'm really trying to avoid refreshing my PC.

Strange, If someone else more experienced than me has a solution for this they will let you know but refreshing your PC may be the only option, just depends on the situation.

Just give it sometime and someone else will post here with their opinion.

Edited by Lucky123, 28 March 2015 - 03:36 PM.