Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Installing GTX 970

• Please log in to reply

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Hello G2G! I need to dust off my avatar/profile because I need some hardware help. If anyone from "back in the day" is around here still, you'll remember that I am VERY hardware stupid, so please be gentle on me!

I need cables, apparently. I have a new GTX 970 that when it was tried to be installed, I was told: "you need two 6pin PCIe cables that are 12" long" and that "both ends of the cables need to have the long plugs." Even with that simple explanation, I have ZERO idea what to order from Amazon!! I am willing to take photos of the inside of my machine if need be. I just need direct links to Amazon showing me EXACTLY what I need to order!

Just in case, here's some info about my computer. Also... my Daddy built this for me about a year ago, just before he died. (He was PoppyAl here on G2G). He did not leave any "extra" cables or anything lying around. My current GPU doesn't seem to plug in to the PSU directly, so there's no cables there that can be used. I guess I'd have to show photos so you'd see what I mean, since I don't know the right terms or how to explain.

I have as of now:

Ultra X4 1000 watt PSU

CPU
            AMD FX-8350    38 °C
            Vishera 32nm Technology
        RAM
            8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (8-8-8-20)
        Motherboard
            MSI 990FXA-GD65 (MS-7640) (CPU 1)    52 °C
        Graphics
            SA300/SA350 (1920x1080@60Hz)
            2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 (ASUStek Computer Inc)    61 °C
        Storage
            931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device (SATA)    24 °C
            223GB OCZ-VERTEX3 MI ATA Device (SSD)
        Optical Drives
            HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA Device

HELP?? I just need to know what stinking cables to order so the current GPU can be swapped out for the new one. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!! :)

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

it all depends on your power supply on what extra cables you may or may not need,

from a quick google search it looks like the Ultra X4 1000 watt PSU is of a modular type which means any cables not needed are not plugged in where non modular psu's will have all the cables permanently connected to them.

Ultra X4 1000 watt PSU :- http://www.tigerdire...id=scplp2398012

from the above link the cables your going to need are the 5th and 6th from the left which are 6+2 types so the extra 2 are not used, 7 and 8 look like 4+4 connections. (or maybe 1 of either the 2nd and 3rd cables which i believe may have two 6+2's on one psu cable connection.)

i tried to post a close up picture of the connection type but for some reason it wouldn't post with it.

so if the spare cables your dad never needed to use are not in the psu box or they have been lost then i think it would probably be best to contact ultra and ask them if they can supply you with them again (at a cost of course.).

you'll need the psu details off the sticker usually located on the psu somewhere make. model number etc. when you contact them.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 28 March 2015 - 05:07 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Kat,

Spare modular cables for Ultra PSUs are hard to come by, the only ones that I have been able to find atm here

Tiger/Rakuten say spare cables are no longer available from Ultra here

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

this should probably fit :- http://www.moddiy.co...CFSYHwwodCGYAwQ

but can not guarantee it.

edit. changed link, much more expensive but longer than old original link here :- http://www.ebay.com/...ke/261188097668

Edited by terry1966, 28 March 2015 - 05:38 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Unfortunately only Ultra cables can be used with their PSUs as the pin outs are different from other brands, some info here and here

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Okay so the problem is that i'm likely going to need a new (CHEAP!! Broke after buying that dang GPU!!) PSU because I've already tried contacting Ultra via their own website. All emails and such just bounce back as undeliverable. I read earlier that others have had no luck getting ahold of an actual person there.

SO. Recommendations on what CHEAP PSU I should get that will work well with my current specs AND the new GPU? AND will have freaking cables?!

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Will THIS work with what I have and the new GPU??

Edited by Kat, 28 March 2015 - 07:20 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

yes that will work, but to be honest if it was me, i'd stick with the installed power supply, even if it meant building my own 8pin to 2x6pin pcie cable checking pin out polarity on the psu is easy but you don't need to build your own just contact these people and get them to do it for you. :- http://www.moddiy.co...Contact-Us.html

PSU Cables

Any cables you see in store can be built for your power supply unit.

Same price for any PSU brand/model. Same price for any sleeving/wire color.

Simply state your requirements in order remark during checkout.

http://www.moddiy.co...les/PSU-Cables/

eg. this but for your psu should cost the same, just choose required length :-  http://www.moddiy.co...dPin-Cable.html

looks like an 8pin to 6+2 and 6 pin pcie cable which would suit you just fine.

just had a thought, what connections are available anyway with the installed cables, maybe you could use those (if there are enough spare) with an adaptor cable or 2.

some pics might help us decide. :D

here's a site that you should find useful with pics of connection types and some adaptor cables like a 2x molex to 1 6pin pcie cable.

http://www.playtool....connectors.html

Edited by terry1966, 29 March 2015 - 12:15 AM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Thank you for the reply, Terry. Sadly, most of what you said went right over my head.

Emails to Ultra (current PSU maker) are undeliverable using the contact form ON their site. I've read and been told by several people now that you should NOT use any cables with Ultra PSUs that didn't come with it. Not sure why Dad took the "extras" out, but at this point, I honestly think it may be easier to get a new PSU. I've found a few with good reviews on Amazon, and I'm leaning toward this one right now: SENTY PSU

Will that work fine for what I need? It has good reviews and states it supports NVIDIA cards. Again - please remember I'm hardware stupid so don't get *too* technical with me! Thanks again for your help. ;-)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not a very good quality PSU at all Kat, this is reflected in the price it costs and many of the most recent reviews here

If you do opt for a new PSU EVGA 600B Bronze 600W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply 3 Years Warranty $44.99 > $34.99 after claiming mail in rebate.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Hmmm okay. I DEFINITELY trust your judgement in this much more than my own! LOL The thing is, I need to find one that comes to $53 total or less on Amazon. I have an Amazon card and that's how much credit I have left on it after getting my husband's new machine a couple of weeks ago. I have found a few others, but have zero idea if they're decent quality or not. Unfortunately, I don't have the extra "cash" to get one from anywhere else right now. :(

This

This

This

Are any of these good options?

Edited by Kat, 29 March 2015 - 04:42 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The Antec is the only decent one but unfortunately it is not new  :(

A 500W PSU that has a minimum of 30 amps on the +12V rail is what Nvidea states the GTX 970 requires but if you tell us what brand your card is we can double check, a 500W bronze rated EVGA has 40 amps and is under your budget, see here

Check the PSU links in my sig for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

I've read and been told by several people now that you should NOT use any cables with Ultra PSUs that didn't come with it.

to be honest that is rubbish,

yes each pin out from the psu may be in a different order from the way it is connected on the motherboard but all the pins will all be there.

so definitely check first before plugging into motherboard or any hardware and don't use it if incorrect unless you know how to simply swap the pins around in the psu connection to correct things.

if you look at a pcie 6pin plug you will usually see 3 yellow and 3 black wires, the black wires are grounds and the yellow wires are 12v. this is called their polarity.

now on modular psu's including ultra's each pin on the standard eight pin pcie connection will be either a ground or 12v, usually 1 row is ground and other row is 12v all someone needs to know is what wire to connect to each pin so the plug that goes into the graphics card has the correct polarity of a row of grounds near the catch and a row of 12v above.

so any cable can be used just as long as it's wired correctly, biggest drawback usually is if the connection that is plugged into the psu is of a propitiatory design so a standard pcie connection which most cables use wouldn't actually plug into the psu's connection point.

personally like i said if you don't know how to check a cable is putting out the correct voltages on the correct pin before plugging it into your graphics card (those pins can easily be changed around too if you know how.) then i'd contact someone like the site linked above who will know exactly what connection type and pin out connections are used for each psu and can make you the correct cable with all the wires having the correct voltages needed if they don't already have it in stock.

it's upto you though if you just want to buy a new psu to save the hassle or have piece of mind, me i'm lazy so it's more hassle replacing a psu than it would be buying a new cable.

also with the cables i'd think already installed in your current system it wouldn't surprise me if you had 2 spare sata connections and 2 spare molex connections, so you could buy a dual sata to 6pin pcie cable and a dual molex to 6pin pcie cable and use them to power your graphics card.

of the 3 psu's above i'd get the antec even tho i still would use the installed psu as my first choice. :D

i rate the evga phil linked to too, a very good psu in my opinion.

Edited by terry1966, 29 March 2015 - 05:28 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Phillpower - The brand of the GPU you mean? It says MSI on it. GTX 970 Gaming 4G. That's what all it says on the front of the box.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The EVGA PSU is all good then, PSU and card tested out here