Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice needed for a new system, (Built)

Best Answer iammykyl , 30 March 2015 - 05:28 AM

Gday.Your case is good but only comes with one pre installed rear fanand one pre installed front fan, so consider installing a top fan.Insure that any cooler you install will fit, CPU cooler h... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Locla

Locla

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Hi everyone,

I'm upgrading my now antique system to something a bit more modern. Phillpower2 has kindly started me off with a parts list here, which I have completed with the components that I already have.

I was thinking of going for a liquid cooling system (perhaps the Corsair H80i) as I am planning on getting an i5-2500k to overclock, but some of the high-end coolers in this link look like they might do the trick as well. I have some Arctic Silver thermal compound which I plan on using to make the bond. This will hopefully be a gaming system with a good upgrade path, and my budget is about £250.

Any advice on this build would be really helpful :)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Locla.

Your link to the parts you already have needs to have the Perma link. 

For comparison of features, The last one I saw was £200, don't think you will find any now. http://www.cpu-world...3.html#cmp_cpus

Note Sandy Bridge socket 1155 MBs lack many features of the more resent Haswell 1150 boards. 

Your budget is very limiting, you also have to include a new OS, unless you have a full retail version. 

Just to give you some idea of prices, > http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/d2q7Hx

Locla

Locla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Hi iammykyl,

My mistake, these are Phill’s suggestions, these are the parts I already have, and these are both sets combined for compatibility. (Please note that I do have peripherals and ODD but am unable to find them on part picker.)

Haswell 1150 is certainly more advanced, but I have already purchased a 1155 Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard and Intel Core i5-2500K CPU (and Arctic Freezer 13, all for £120 which I consider a good deal). To be honest moving on to a 1155 from my current system is good enough for me!

My flexible £250 budget is aimed towards a case, RAM, Windows 7 OEM, PSU, and a cooler which will enable me to overclock the i5-2500k to about the 4.5GHz mark. It’s these 5 parts that I’d love some input on :) 

Many thanks in advance,

Dan

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
✓  Best Answer

Gday.

Your case is good but only comes with one pre installed rear fanand one pre installed front fan, so consider installing a top fan.

Insure that any cooler you install will fit, 

CPU cooler height: 147mm / 5.8 inch (with side fan); 162mm / 6.4 inch (without side fan)

Manual Download, > http://gaming.cooler.../cases/scout_2/

Changed the RAM, will perform the same, matches board colours. (optimal)

PSU, very good.

OS.   Have included W7, but consider going W8.1 see W7 EOL, > 

Changed the cooler see bottom chart, Cooler master Evo, > http://www.hardwares...r-review/1407/6

See bottom of page for RAM clearance, > http://www.coolermas.../hyper-212-evo/

Parts list, > http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/6s24hM

Locla

Locla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Good evening :)

True about the case, I think I may go for the NZXT Phantom 410 as it comes with rear, top and front fans pre-installed (and because I found one for £50). The only issue with this case as far as I can tell is that I would be unable to use a couple of the drive bays with my current GPU, other than that it has excellent clearance in general. I'd also lose the handle but I seldom move my PC.

The PSU (the only thing I ever buy new) is on it's way.

I didn't realise I could get 8.1 for the same price as 7! 8.1 it is.

I like the cooler choice and I may well go for it, but for now I'm gonna wait and use the Arctic freezer 13 (without O/Cing). I've got my eye on one of those H80i coolers, which is compatible with everything else and which I should be able to get for around £40.

The RAM. I'm really sorry to be a pain here, but is there any chance that you would know of something of similar specs, but that you would have recommended to a gamer two years ago? I'm in the used market here... chalk it up to student finances :)

Thanks a lot for your advice!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Noted your changes, sound OK.

The RAM. I'm really sorry to be a pain here, but is there any chance that you would know of something of similar specs, but that you would have recommended to a gamer two years ago? I'm in the used market here... chalk it up to student finances  :)

You would be wise to apply the same criteria as with the PSU.   You have absolutely no guarantee used RAM will work and the difference in price to neww seems negligable.   Could not find any on Amazon, some on eBay, but note, they all have, "no returns accepted"

> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corsair-8GB-Dual-Channel-Vengeance-Pro-DDR3-1600-RAM-/261828662299?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf634541b  

Locla

Locla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

I've spent the time since your last reply looking for good value yet good quality second-hand RAM but it seems quite hard to find unlike most other components, so I've bought the RAM you previously suggested. As to the 'No returns accepted' for used items, that only applies if something does indeed work, ('The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended.') otherwise there'd be all sorts of mischief going on. 

Everything is on the way and I hope to have the build set up by the end of next week; I'm looking forward to owning a system with all of its parts manufactured in the current decade!

I'll post the successful build/ any issues I encounter.

Cheers,

Dan

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the clarification on the no returns quote.

Did you get the correct I/O shield with the MB?

You may find it useful to install a system speaker, > http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B002W4M0DW

Looking forward to your results.

Good luck. 

Locla

Locla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

The I/O shield didn't come with the motherboard but I have ordered the correct model from the US, as I couldn't seem to find one in the UK. I will be completely honest and say that I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it :D

Good thought on the speaker, I've now ordered one.

Thanks! 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good, sounds like You are ready to go.Tip.   Much easier to do some work outside of the case, This is the first steps I use when building.

Change the I/O shield.

Install the PSU.

Put the MB on it's box close to the side of the case.

Install the CPU, apply TIM,  then heatsink/fan, connect the fan plug.

connect the 2 main power cable to the MB, then test, you should get the beep code for no RAM. if OK,

Switch off the PSU.

Install the RAM, test, beep code will change, if OK.

Switch off the PSU, disconnect the wiring.

Check the standoff on the MB mounting plate match exactly the pattern and number of screw holes in the board.

Install the MB and carry on with the build. 

Advertisements

Locla

Locla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Hi again,

I followed your directions above and everything is working beautifully. I've never seen a PC run things so smoothly let alone my own, and a big part of how that came about is due to the help from this forum over the years, so many thanks to you.

The only hiccup I've encountered is that the case which I purchased didn't arrive in the condition that I expected it to, but I've sorted this out with the seller and am returning it for a full refund. I've had pay day since then and as I've managed to save quite a bit by buying used components for other parts of the build, I've got a new budget of £100 for the case alone. After all, this can be a relatively permanent part of any build! Do you have any suggestions? 

Cheers,

Dan

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are most welcome Locla :thumbsup: 

Great result, always a bit of a worry when using used parts as any one of them can be faulty.

Do you have a preference, windowed side panel, yes or no.?

Locla

Locla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
It's true there is a risk to used parts. Generally any imperfections that go beyond being just cosmetic are detailed in the description but on this occasion with the case, had not been!

I put performance above appearance so I don't really mind too much about the window... I guess it can be convenient to be able to see inside the case without having to open it up at times though.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

AS the case should last for multi builds, stayed away from some cheaper models. 

Compare, > http://www.newegg.co...147-175:$$$$$$$

First choice, NBdifferent prices for other colours. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811854003

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Antec Nine Hundred Two V3

HAF 912 Advance