Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bsod problem, probably involving motherboard.

bsod motherboard cmosbattery

• Please log in to reply

guava

guava

• Pip
  • 6 posts
In the last year I have had a slew of computer issues.The most prominent however is a blue screen. After the bsod crash my computer doesn't boot. I can hear it attempt to start up then quit, and it repeats that until I force turn it off. Unfortunately the little speaker on my motherboard no longer beeps so I can't tell you what beeps it gives. If I poke the CMOS battery a little bit the computer starts up again and keeps acts like nothing is wrong until it gets another bsod. The battery seems to not be held in place well, it wobbles quite a bit. And in the last few days the bsod has only been occurring more and more often.

There have also been some strange visual problems with my primary monitor. When the log in screen pops up it switches to a message saying something like "input unsupported" and I simply restart the monitor. In the last few days the bsod has become more common and right before the crash I get lines or streaks of randomly colored pixels on the display. And very rarely the monitor flashes that old black and white static you might see on a TV for a few moments. This might not have anything to do with my bsod problem though, just putting the information here in case.

Here is some system information

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16327 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 228833 MB, Free - 132741 MB; D: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 573927 MB;
Motherboard: MSI, Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821)
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

I have no reason to believe anything other than the motherboard is causing problems. It was causing a bsod before about 15% of every time I tried to launch league of legends, until I updated some of the motherboards software. The same software kept me from reaching adobe's download servers for unknown reasons. Their tech guys were unable to help me with that one and I had to go with the classic re-install windows. killer ethernet e2200 if I remember correctly. It hasn't been causing many problems recently though.

The only other thing that I think could possibly create a problem is my power supply. 550W which could possibly not be enough power sometimes but I'm no expert in that area.

I made the mistake of doing a system restore which deleted all the most recent dump files. I will attach an older one that may or may not have something to do with the problem. I'll probably crash 2 times tomorrow so I will upload those files when the come.

If I can tie this to my motherboard
Thanks for any help, If you need more information I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Attached Files

Edited by guava, 29 March 2015 - 07:01 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   guava,

You crash dump is too old for us but fwiw a razor mouse driver is flagged up in it, PROCESS_NAME: RzStats.Manage

So that we have something to begin with, download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s, once we have this I will provide you with some info for you to work on.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

guava

guava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...Sy22fO7sFAg3E0R

here you go, thank you for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Speccy is showing that you have an awful lot of updates that have failed to install both for Windows and MSE + one that I noted for your video card, the reason that they have failed to install may also be the cause of the crashes, regardless of whether or not it is you need to make sure that both Windows and MSE are fully updated so as to help protect your computer from malware attack, please see my canned text below;

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

You are welcome btw  :)

guava

guava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I have run the repair tool and installed available updates. Everything has been working perfectly so far. I'll keep you updated if anything surfaces. Here is the new Speccy

http://speccy.pirifo...ZwoSshzwfurcEnN

http://speccy.pirifo...mVlq0Qw8Ua5tHxy

Edited by guava, 29 March 2015 - 05:58 PM.

guava

guava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Got a blue screen, I have replaces the dump file on the main post with this new one.

I should also mention that I noticed my ram was set to 1600, so I switched it to 2133 which is the manufactures stated speed. I don't know if that would cause a bsod but it set itself back to 1600.

also this time the computer didn't try to boot over and over, the fans stayed on but it never got running. Moving the cmos battery a little still fixes the boot issue.

The main error was System Thread Exception Not Handled which I have not seen yet. It is normally a Driver IQRL not equal error

Edited by guava, 29 March 2015 - 07:06 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

New points of note in Speccy and your latest crash dump but first of all can I ask you to post a link to the specific Ram that you have.

Polite request, can you post any new information in any edited reply rather than double post etc, this will help to avoid us potentially missing anything  :thumbsup:

guava

guava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I bought the ram about 15 months ago.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820226434

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Is it at all possible that your Ram has previously been running at 1600MHz and you have not noticed, the reason that I ask is because the fastest Ram that is compatible with your CPU is 1600MHz, see Memory Types here and Memory controller information here please also note that Ram that is any faster than 1600MHz needs to be overclocked and that your specific Ram is not on the MBs qualified vendors list (QVL) see here

Go into the BIOS and select the MBs default factory settings, they may be listed as most stable or fails safe as not all brands use the same terminology. 

BTW dxgmms1 was responsible for the last crash, this could point to a problem with your video drivers but we will have a better idea if the system crashes again after the MB has been restored to the factory default settings.

guava

guava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The motherboard is set to default values now. It automatically runs the ram at 1600MHz.

I also remembered that when I installed the ram I noticed it was at 1600 and so I set it to 2133 and it had been running at that speed. It reset back to 1600 when I cleared the cmos battery a couple days ago. I'm leaving it at default 1600MHz now. I'll let you know if I crash again.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update guava  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw and please do let us know how things go.