Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update failed install question.

• Please log in to reply

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

I have a question for our experts, I have notice that when installing updates on a new Windows 7 install (on XP rarely happens) there is always at least 25 to 50% that usually failed to install on first try and will usually take 2 to 3 try to install them all.

At my house I have unlimited internet capacity per month so not a problem for me personally but a lot of my clients have limited monthly usage and some have complained that it uses too much of their limit.

Is there a way to avoid that as much as possible or even better not at all. Why doesn't windows keep the failed installs but downloaded updates on the computer until they are successfully installed and not have to download them again and again.

Since updates are an obligation (for most) and not just a choice of downloads maybe they should not count with our internet providers monthly internet usage. i know that is a dream but who knows, it would be fair to not count updates in our monthly usage.

Thanks for reading and any reply would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Maybe the first thing to do is install SP1?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If the computer does not come with SP1 included on their DVd or recovery partition, it is always the first thing i install (I have downloaded version of SP1 through Microsoft already), I install it before I start the regular updates through Windows.

Even after SP1 install it usually (not always) does what i describe earlier), yesterday I reinstalled W7 with SP1 and when it started doing the updates some of them needed 4 to 5 tries to install it said either failed or canceled and i notice that most of those are updates for Net Framework.

Like I said to me I don't mind personnaly but for people for limited GB of usage per month it makes a difference, They always download well (100%) it is during the installation that it fails.