Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer shut down on its own!

computer shut down on its own PSU problem?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I have a high-end computer running Windows 8.1. 

I was away from my desk for a half-hour yesterday.  When I returned, the computer had shut down on its own.  It's very cold on the floor where the computer is... and cold air is coming out the back.  There seemed to be no sign on an overheating problem when I looked yesterday.  Do you think the shutdown is because the PSU is beginning to fail?  The system is only about 6 months old... and I'm kind of upset over this!

Is there any way I can look at a record of what might've been going on when the shut down occurred?

Any ideas on why my computer shut down on its own will be very much appreciated.  :)

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 633 posts

Personally, I don't see any point in trouble-shooting problems until you've been given a clean bill of health from someone on the Malware forum. 

I understand you're experiencing multiple issues that may seem unrelated to you, but we best not assume anything.  Therefore, I think it will be
preferred if we hold off on trying to "fix" these issues until we can rule out the possibility of viruses/malware.

As far as the logs/information you are requesting, perhaps you can find something in your Event Viewer.

• Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Just update us here (if the problem persists) once you've been advised you have a clean system by a Malware Geek.  Good luck!  :yeah: