Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can data be retrieved from an old PC

• Please log in to reply

gordon0412

gordon0412

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey all. Doing a bit of spring cleaning, and was ready to take a PC I built in 1998 to the local dump when it occured to me to try and find out if there is anyway I can retrieve some of the data on the hard drive from it. It won't boot anymore, but I don't think it's the drive. I believe it's a Seagate circia mid to late 90's if I recall correctly. Is there a way I, who am fairly computer savvy, or perhaps anyone else can retrieve some of the stuff off that drive onto a current generation LT or flash drive?  Nothing important obviously, but some documents and pics that would probably be nostalgic to get at.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   gordon0412,

An external USB HDD enclosure or adapter kit will do the trick but only as long as the HDD is working, couple of examples here and here

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

It is possible, but it could be difficult if the drive is of a very old type (ie. not IDE or SATA). If it is IDE, then it would be very easy to do, although it can take time to go through the data (OS vs. personal stuff).

The first step is to open the computer and determine what type of hard drive it has.

gordon0412

gordon0412

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks gentlemen. I'll look into both. Yea, definteily have to take it apart. This quest is going to become something of a project. I'll have to research IDE or SATA, but I'm thinking you might mean the ability to decipher the file directory information, especially the file types. If it's all binary/hex then I'll be in a bit (pun intended) over my head and just give it up.  

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

If the drive is a IDE or SATA, you would just need to mount it in an external case or adapter and then attach and mount the filesystem. You would then be able to see all of the files. If you kept all of your files in one location, then it would be easy to find them and copy them, just like with your current disk.  The problem can be that the files are spread out in multiple directories, so you need to search for them.

Go to the top directory on your current disk and see what is there. It will basically be the same.