Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No bootable devices available error-please help ASAP (Solved)

Best Answer Elton yu , 04 November 2015 - 06:06 AM

HEY GUYS any of you still around?    So i got my laptop checked and my brothers gonna take it to the shop to replace the dam harddrive (it was the harddrives fault as said by a technician... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please try W7 installation disc again on the Laptop, make sure to select, boot from CD.

Do you see some Windows windows before a black screen, please take a picture of the last screen that is displayed.

Advertisements

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I did boot from cd
Sorry i was unable to take a picture

Press any key to boot from cd...

Windows is starting

Black screen with pointer

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

How long have you left it just sat there with the black screen and curser?

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
About 10-15 mins.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I have been reading that some Laptops may take up to an hour before anything happens, then suddenly carries on with the installation.

Give it a try. 

If nothing happens, press and hold down together, ctrl,alt,Del, for about 15 seconds. 

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Ok

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

just out of curiosity why did you want to know the mac address of your hardware? also when you were in bios did you change any settings in there besides making cd/dvd drive first boot device that may be causing problems now?

must admit i've never run into a problem like yours (far as i can remember anyway. :rofl: ) where even the windows install and repair cd/dvd's only get as far as a black screen with cursor.

if nothing is different after following iammykyl's advice then can you make sure you have no other leads or devices plugged into the laptop, remove the battery and disconnect the power lead, hold down the power button for at least 15 seconds then only connecting the power lead (not the battery or anything else) try booting the install cd/dvd again and see if anything changes.

if still no difference can you remove the hard drive and see if the windows install/repair cd's will now boot correctly and give you something different than a black screen.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 21 April 2015 - 04:31 PM.

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Mac adress dont worry about it,my bro asked for it

My cousin has experienced this before,as he said,
The hard drive is broken beyond repair and needs to be replaced,
Ill try your method

As for the BIOS didnt change anything else

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be honest we don't know if the hard drive is broken beyond repair but even if it is,(which i doubt but won't rule out.) that shouldn't stop the cd's from working as they should and being able to boot to a menu screen.

i know for a fact a good burn/working live cd like suse's kde live will take you to a desktop regardless of condition of the hard drive unless there is a problem elsewhere.

so that's what i'm finding most perplexing about your current situation, the fact nothing will fully boot like it should except the ubcd and am beginning to wonder if some malware could be the reason why not, even tho. i really don't see how it could be.

was the ubcd a different make/brand disk than the others you made that won't boot?

have you removed all power and tried booting the repair or install cd yet?

or removed the hard drive and seen if they will now boot correctly?

if the cd's do boot when the drive is out then i found something that says the cause may be bad boot code interfering, so the drive will probably need fitting into another pc to fix that.

http://www.sevenforu...392859e53a1826a

ignore the last post he's just a spammer.

Edited by terry1966, 23 April 2015 - 07:14 AM.

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Maybe something else was broken coz like i said,it fell
Same brand of cd,ill double check tomorrow though
Its kinda late here so i cant remove the hard drive coz that will take a while...
Also can we proceed to working with the ubcd in the meantime?

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

i've never used the ubcd so don't know what's on there and what you can or can not do with it.

try going into your bios and turning of uefi, make sure the option to boot legacy is enabled may be called csm then try booting your repair or install cd's again and see what happens.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

any results from terry's last instructions??

As you are getting no results except a black screen using the Windows installation CD, I don't think using the UBCD will get any results.

It is possible the Laptop optical drive is not working correctly, so let's try creating a repair tool on a USB stick, and try that.

Even if this does not work, you will have 1, a CD repair disc and 2, a USB repair tool for your computer.   Please click the link below, read the instructions and post back to let us know you will be OK following the instructions.

You will be doing this on your working Windows computer, > http://www.intowindo...pair-usb-drive/

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Ok

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

With the Laptop switched off, insert the Recovery USB stick into a port, > start the laptop, > start tapping the F key to bring up the Boot Manager, > use the arrow key to highlight USB, > press enter.

Does the Recovery screen load?

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hey guys i hope your still followig the topic...
Anyways tomorow is the big fight with manny pacquiao and floyd mayweather as we all know
Tomorrow is also my spare time, so ill do it tomorrow im really sorry for taking so long to post back any updates

Hope for you guys to understand :)