Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 64bit,lengthy boot time and audio service doesn't start up.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Delfix has done it's job. :thumbsup:

Did you try uninstalling Comodo and if so, was there any difference?

Advertisements

fireberd

fireberd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Uninstalling Comodo did nothing,neithe rdid uninstalling Avira,but here's the thing..

two days ago,as I was shutting down the PC,it told me updates were installing 'do not turn off your computer' as per usual.

So,as I always do,I just turned off the monitor and left the machine to switch off itself after the updates were done.

Booting up the next day...everything was back to normal!!

The comp booted up as fast as usual,and audio was working normally from the get-go..

I can only assume that one of the newly installed updates corrected the issue,which I'm also assuming was caused by an earlier update??

However,as my system is now running sweetly again,I can only thank you for your patience and assistance!

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I can only assume that one of the newly installed updates corrected the issue,which I'm also assuming was caused by an earlier update??

Yes, that has happened where an update has caused problems and corrected with a later update.

Another possibility is residual system file or registry corruption from an infection (or from use of a proprietary registry cleaner or some such) which has been corrected when files have been updated.

Whatever the reason I am pleased it is fixed now.

Thank you for informing us. :thumbsup:

fireberd

fireberd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

On the subject of registry cleaners,do you not recommend these?

I periodically use PC Tools Registry Mechanic to clean up the registry..could this be a contributing factor?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Registry cleaners are notorious for causing problems on peoples computers. Often the problem doesn't appear until well down the track. A small change to the registry can go unnoticed until one day you call on that function and find it won't work anymore or alternatively an associated utility doesn't work properly.

Actually, except in exceptional circumstances it is not necessary to clean your registry.

If you are looking for something to optimize your registry then NTREGOPT would be a way to go. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.