Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card troubles

• Please log in to reply

auromak

auromak

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Just built this computer from scratch, everything finally seems to be working right, except the video card. When i start world of warcraft (the only reason i built this box), i get to the login prompt just fine, but as soon as i log in, the computer instantly locks up, i can still move the mouse, but only horizontaly, and then after about 10 secs it restarts. Im using a radeon 9800 pro 128 card, and have tested it with another identical card, only a couple years older, from my main box. same problem with both card. occasionally, when i first boot up the computer, the colors will be a bit off, and after a few seconds, the same lockup/reboot will occur. i have installed the latest video drivers, and am at a loss as to what else could be causing this. any ideas?

ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo
AMD 64 3000+
Radeo 9800 Pro 128
Antec TruePower 430
2x 512m Corsair 400 DDR ram

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Could you post your temps and voltages

Try running memtest86 for at least 3 passes and post back what you find.

Rick

auromak

auromak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok, heres my temps/voltages. Still in the process of getting memtest installed, i'll get those results later on tonight. I have a feeling its not gonna be the memory, as i've tried 3 different memory combinations, 2 seperate 256 meg sticks, and then 2 512, DDR 400 sticks to try out the dual channel. each different combo has yeilded the same results. nonetheless, i hope its as simple as a memory problem, so i'll get that test up and running, and post the results.

CPU Temp- 35c
Mobo Temp- 32c
+12v - 11.968
+5v - 4.999
+3.3v - 3.248
VCore - 1.422

nothing abnormal there, right?

auromak

auromak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok, just let memtest run for 1.5 hours, 7 passes 0 errors. now what? :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Everthing looks good do you have all the MS updates and any updates for the game?

auromak

auromak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yep, everythings all up to date. the more i play around with this thing, i realize its not just the game thats causing problems. This system is just insanely unstable. it will lockup and reset semi-randomly on me while surfing the web (twice while trying to use ms update), if i open up java.com, it will close my browser instantly upon the page fully loading... and with the game, it seems that as long as i dont move the mouse at all, i can actually get into the game, and it will run momentarily, until i even bump the mouse. then the same lockup/reset. its an odd reset though, not the instant reboot like i'm used to seeing. first, the monitor loses its signal, and the green LED goes orange. the computer seems to keep running for another 10-15 seconds, and then it will reset. i'm running out of hair to pull from my head, any more suggestions?

Edited by auromak, 13 June 2005 - 02:59 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
It may also help to turn on BSODs in your computer properties. That way you can have some idea as to what's causing Windows to die, if it isn't a hardware issue.

This can be done by right clicking "my computer"->properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery Settings
Uncheck the "Automatically restart checkbox.

If you get the BSOD, post the error and DLL that is causing it.

I was just about to ask you if it was only with that game now I know, try and make it blue screen and report the error, if you get no error I have another test to run on hardware but I would like to know if its software related first

Make sure the 4 pin 12v connection from the psu to the mobo is tight
You did load the chipset drivers right?

Rick

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
get the newest graphix card driver, the chipset and the amd processor driver/cool and quiet driver.

So what hard drive are you using and have you defragmented and ran any diagnostics on the hd. This sounds like a software problem, but maybe a graphix card problem. Provide the Everest info on you computer please and defragment your computer!!!

Also something to note is that you should use diskeeper to defragment at least once a day if you are going to play WOW because this game can fragment your harddrive like nobodies business. I play alot of WOW also lol! I have noticed my computer slowly becomes more unstable because of how the game massively frags up my drive, but after i defrag there is no lag or instability.

Oh yeah i forgot did you just swap an old hd into a new system?

auromak

auromak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok, heres another update. the old HD that i was using turned out to have a crapload of unrepairable errors, and for whatever reason the vid card i was using (even though it was brand new) would not benchmark under any circumstances. I scrapped the HD and replaced it with a brand new one, and returned and replaced the vid card. Did a full format on the drive, reinstalled, and bam, everything appeared to be going good. I was able to play wow, everything seemed ok, until out of no where, bam, lockup and reboot. its since happened about 4 times, seemingly randomly. I'm about to uncheck the 'automaticaly restart' box like doby suggested, and i'll get back to you with the results. the 12 pin is definately connected and... [bleep], no, i have not installed the latest chipset/cool'n quiet drivers. i'll do that right now.

auromak

auromak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
well, i cant seem to get any BSOD's. on lockup, the video feed to the monitor quickly stops, and the monitor goes blank (green LED fades to orange), while the computer just remains on, requireing a hard power off. hope that helps

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Go into bios and see what the vcore is set at you listed it above at 1.422 if this is what it is in bios set it to 1.5 this is the AMD recommended setting for your cpu.

Disable cool'n quiet

Try that and let me know if there is any improvement

Edited by Doby, 16 June 2005 - 04:27 PM.

auromak

auromak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
bios was already at 1.5, and i never had cool'n quiet enabled to begin with. the thing is still giving me problems, resetting about 1 or 2 times a day. i thought it was while in game only, but it reset while surfing the web today. i cant figure out what else could be causing this. any other ideas? :tazz: