Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 factory restart

windows7 restore windows 7 cant factory restore factory restore windows 7

• Please log in to reply

hemirawr

hemirawr

• Pip
  • 2 posts

i need to factory restart my windows 7 compac presario cq62 laptop,

i do not have the restore disks so i have tried to restore by pressing the F11 key on bootup and start the restore that way,

however, all the computer does is make a series of beebing noises and then will start windows normally.

is there any way i can restore it? or is there somthing im doing wrong/done wrong without knowing?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi hemirawr :)

In order to Factory Restore a Windows system, you'll need either: the OEM Recovery/Installation disks provided with the laptop/computer or a built-in Recovery partition on your hard drive. Since you don't seem to have the CDs, we can check if you have an in-built Recovery partition.

mYEYEX7.pngDisk Management Utility
Follow the instructions below to open the Disk Management Utility:
  • For Windows 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Manage (requires Admin Rights). From there, click on Disk Management in the left pane;
  • For Windows 8, bring the cursor in the bottom left-corner of the screen and wait for the metro preview to open, then right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • For Windows 8,1 bring the cursor on the Windows logo, right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • Open the window to its full size, then take a screenshot of it and attach it to your next reply;
mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Once done, attach that screenshot to your next reply;

hemirawr

hemirawr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

thank you very much Aura,

only issue is that i cannot upload the screen shot due to the computer not being able to connect to the internet.

i have found the information you were asking about but is there any way i can just tell you the information?

i could transfer the info to the current computer but im scared of transfering the deadly viruses that are on

my laptop to my mainly used desktop.

im sorry for the complication, and i dont mean to be difficult, but if there is a way to figure it out without the

need of the screenshot, that would be alot more accessible for me. but if there is no other way, then i are willing to

risk it

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
If you want, simply take a picture (with your cellphone, camera, etc.) of the screen where the Disk Management window is, then transfer it on your other computer and attach the file :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Users Guide is here: http://support.hp.co...4217303/manuals

This is what is says about Recovery:

CpmpaqRecovery.jpg

Basically, boot, press Esc then F11.

You can also create a set of Recovery Discs:

ge-newline"> Creating recovery discs
HP recommends that you create recovery discs to be sure that you can restore your system to its original
factory state if you experience serious system failure or instability. Create these discs after setting up
the computer for the first time.
Handle these discs carefully and keep them in a safe place. The software allows the creation of only
one set of recovery discs.
NOTE: If your computer does not include an internal optical drive, you can use an optional external
optical drive (purchased separately) to create recovery discs, or you can purchase recovery discs for
your computer from the HP Web site.
NOTE: The external hard drive must be connected to a USB port on the computer, not to a USB port
on an external device such as a hub.
Note the following guidelines before creating recovery discs:
You will need high-quality DVD-R, DVD+R, BD-R (writable Blu-ray), or CD-R discs. All these discs
are purchased separately. DVDs and BDs have a much higher capacity than CDs. If you use CDs,
up to 20 discs may be required, whereas only a few DVDs or BDs are required.
NOTE: Read-write discs, such as CD-RW, DVD±RW, double-layer DVD±RW, and BD-RE
(rewritable Blu-ray) discs, are not compatible with the Recovery Manager software.
The computer must be connected to AC power during this process.
Only one set of recovery discs can be created per computer.
Number each disc before inserting it into the optical drive.
If necessary, you can exit the program before you have finished creating the recovery discs. The
next time you open Recovery Manager, you will be prompted to continue the disc creation process.
To create a set of recovery discs:
1. Select Start > All Programs > Recovery Manager > Recovery Disk Creation.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions.