Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HIGH FAN/CPU/DISK usage on Dell XPS laptop w/ Windows 8.1

high cpu high disk high fan xps ATI Radeon 4670 streaming video slow out of sync background processes Windows 8.1 64-bit

Best Answer phillpower2 , 03 April 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hello High_Tech_Redneck, Classic signs of overheating, can I ask when if ever was the dust cleaned out of the notebook. An example cleaning guide here Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

My Dell Studio XPS 1640 is having significant issues streaming online video. The fan will ramp up, and performance become sluggish, with video becoming choppy/stuttering. This happens at random video progress times, but very, very regularly.

Basic specs: (2.66 GHz Centrino Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 (1GB) GPU) running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.

The issue has been recently replicated when running Ubuntu 14.04 in a dual-boot config. As far as I remember, it seems this problem would also regularly occur on this laptop when it was running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Symptoms are same whether using Chrome, IE or Firefox (all up-to-date versions).

The RAM does not seem to get full during these periods, usually staying around 40-60%. Occasionally, but not always, Shockwave Flash will report to have crashed (in Chrome).

I have other devices to use in troubleshooting, but the laptop in question is an important daily device, so I'm eager to sniff out and resolve this issue.

Thank you.

Edited by High_Tech_Redneck, 02 April 2015 - 02:14 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello High_Tech_Redneck,

Classic signs of overheating, can I ask when if ever was the dust cleaned out of the notebook.

An example cleaning guide here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you High_Tech_Redneck, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Oops, sorry. Meant to reply sooner, but forgot.

Oh yeah, that was the problem! I pulled out a giant clump of dust just by feeling around under there! From that point I cleaned thoroughly inside and out the case, with a portable vac and a blower bulb.

Just before cleaning, I installed Core Temp, and it was running around 165 F / 170 F while the hanging was happening.

After cleaning, temps run from 100 F (idle) - 150 F (streaming video).

All streaming issues are fixed, playback stays smooth. Fan seems a little quieter too.

That explains why it was always a bit of a phantom problem, because the filter screen on the fan vent always collects a lot.

Thanks for the tip!

Edited by High_Tech_Redneck, 13 May 2015 - 01:50 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Glad to hear that we were able to help and thanks for letting us know that the issue is now resolved  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)