Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Is it the monitor, or computer, or power strip?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I just got a new Acer monitor because the old one was not working.  Now I wonder if the monitor was the problem.  This new monitor worked the first couple of times I turned it on.  Then it gave a blank screen the 3rd time.  For some reason, quickly turning the power strip on and off will make everything work again, though I get a screen telling me I have to start up by pushing return.  I do not have to push the button again to turn on the computer as it is still on after I push the power strip button off and on.

The first time I had a problem I disconnected and reconnected everything on the new monitor.  It worked fine for several days. (I turn it on once a day).  Then again today I got that blank, bluish grey screen.  I don't remember hearing the computer sounds that let you know things are turning on.  Again, when I pushed the power strip button qquickly on and off it all started up again.

The computer is a 1 & 1/2 year old Dell desktop.

Thanks very much for any help.

Geek Freshman

• GeekU Freshman
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

If you have access to another computer, I would try both monitors on it. That would rule out the monitor. How old is the power strip you have every thing plugged into? And do you have any problems with any other devices that are plugged into it?

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,724 posts

:welcome:   LoricaLady,

It could be the power strip but alternatively it could be the computers power supply, a bad internal power connection/case switch, a loose video card (if present) or memory stick.

Can you tell us the exact model name or number of the Dell desktop please.

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page.