Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

infected computer; unable to download FRST

malware windows 7 64 bit FRST

• Please log in to reply

rosie.jo

rosie.jo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello! My computer has been acting up and I think it's a type of malware I got from clicking on a dopey facebook link. (You know... "the voice: this made the judges turn around in 10 seconds!) I know, I know... :no:

I was on Chrome when this happened (a few weeks ago?) and now I can't use Chrome at all, though my system firewall says it's an allowed program. Internet Explorer has gotten slower and slower... as has my whole computer while starting up, etc.

I've scanned my computer with Panda Cloud Cleaner and removed the threats it found, cleaned cookies from my browsers and it has still continued to worsen. I tried to download malwarebytes yesterday, have also tried to install Firefox, but I haven't been able to download anything. I just tried to download FRST for Windows 7, 64 bit. But nothing seems to happen when I click "download", or CTRL J. Is there some other way to download?

Thank you for your help. I'm at a loss here.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,010 posts
  • MVP

Try resetting Chrome:

https://support.goog...r/3296214?hl=en

Try the step called Re-enable downloads in Internet Explorer here:  http://kb.eset.com/e...ent&id=SOLN3587

Try creating a new login with admin rights.  Sometimes the new login will be able to download

Try Safe Mide with Networking:

(Reboot and when you see the maker's logo, hear a beep or it talks about F8, start tapping the F8 key slowly.  Keep tapping until the Safe Mode Menu appears and choose Safe Mode with Networking.  Login with your usual login.)

Try to do a system restore:

http://windows.micro.../system-restore

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,010 posts
  • MVP

Appears we have an ftp capability we can use to get OTL at least.

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Yes.  Then in the black Command Window, type (with an Enter after the line)

ftp  itxassociates.com

It should come back with:

Connected to itxassociates.com.
220-FileZilla Server version 0.9.50 beta
220-written by Tim Kosse ([email protected])
User (itxassociates.com:(none)):

Type (with an Enter after the line):

anonymous

It will now say:

331 Password required for anonymous
Password:

Just hit Enter and it should say:

230 Logged on
ftp>

Now type (with an Enter after the line):

get  otl.com

It should say something like:

200 Port command successful
150 Opening data channel for file download from server of "/otl.com"
226 Successfully transferred "/otl.com"
ftp: 602112 bytes received in 1.28Seconds 469.67Kbytes/sec.
ftp>

Type (with an Enter after the line):

quit

Your are now back in the windows command prompt.  The file should be in c:\windows\system32\otl.com

Probably best to copy it to your desktop.  Type (with an Enter after the line):

copy  otl.com  %userprofile%\desktop\otl.com

Close the Command Window and go back to your desktop.  Find otl.com and right click on it and Run As Admin.  The first time you run it you should get two logs.  Please copy and paste both to a reply.

rosie.jo

rosie.jo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you so much for your reply! Chrome is working again after restoring the settings. I also reset everything on IE. I'll now try to download FRST.