Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 shutdown and BSOD

• Please log in to reply

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

The problem started yesterday when I hit a key to activate the screen/computer. It had been sitting all day and when I came in and hit a button nothing happened. I tried repeatedly hitting buttons and moving the mouse with no results. I turned the computer off using the power button and restarted it. After about 3 minutes the BSOD came on stating that "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" It also said to "make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed". To the best of my knowledge there has been nothing installed lately. It also has technical information listed as follows:

*** STOP; 0x000000D1 (0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000002,0x0000000000000001,0xFFFFF88001A650D1)

I believe those numbers are right but I am trying to read them off of a picture I took of the screen using my cell phone. I have restarted the computer two additional times and got the same results though I did not record the information on the screen. 

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

Sorry, I failed to give the following info: Gateway Model DX4870

Edited by chuckgibson, 03 April 2015 - 11:50 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello again chuckgibson,

Couple of questions if I may;

All the information that I can find for the DX4870 say that it shipped with Windows 8, have you formatted the HDD and installed Windows 7.

Will the computer not boot up at all.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode.

Do you have any USB devices connected to the computer.

Do you have a PS/2 (wired) keyboard and mouse that you can use as a temporary measure.

After about 3 minutes the BSOD came on stating that "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"

You got this message because you did a hard shutdown of the computer.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Phillpower2, I recognize your name as you have helped me once before and I am still very thankful!

I bought the computer new and it had Windows 7 in it when I bought it;

Yes the computer boots up and it actually has not messed up for the last couple of hours;

I have not tried booting in to Safe Mode just regular mode;

The keyboard and mouse are running into USB type ports. Other than that I have a printer running in to one.  I might add that the printer has to be unplugged and plugged right back in quite often because the computer says it does not recognize it. As soon as it is plugged back in it begins printing. That has happened for a long time and other than being a pain it does not seem to have ever caused problems.

"You got this message because you did a hard shutdown of the computer".... Is there any other way I could have made the screen come up?

Thank you again for helping me. I will be in and out today but I will check back as often as I can.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks for the update and additional info duly acknowledged  :thumbsup:

Is there any other way I could have made the screen come up?

Nope, this error message is often a result of either Windows hanging and needing a hard shutdown or a thermal shutdown when a MB sensor detects high temps and shuts down the computer to prevent the CPU from frying.

Check to see if there are any crash dumps available;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

As the computer appears stable I suggest that you create a new restore point;

1. Open System by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2. In the left pane, click System protection18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.

4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

Do you have a PS/2 (wired) keyboard and mouse that you can use as a temporary measure.

Can you also answer the above question for us.

You are welcome btw  :)

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

There were two folders called minidump and they are both empty.

I have now created a new restore point.

I am ignorant to your question about the PS/2 wired mouse and keyboard. My mouse and keyboard each have a wire that runs to the computer. Is this comparing a wired/wireless setup?

BTW, thank you for your patience... lol

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
There were two folders called minidump and they are both empty.

This may suggest that Windows did not crash and that the issue is not Windows related, I would however make sure that crash dumps are enabled on your computer, the two folders suggest that crash dumps have at some time been enabled on the computer but it is possible that they have somehow been disabled, enabling crash dumps steps detailed here

New restore point created  :thumbsup:

I am ignorant to your question about the PS/2 wired mouse and keyboard. My mouse and keyboard each have a wire that runs to the computer. Is this comparing a wired/wireless setup?

PS/2 keyboard and mouse plugs/connectors shown in attachment below, they are hard wired to the computer as opposed to being wireless or bluetooth.

BTW, thank you for your patience... lol

You are most welcome  :)

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

the crash dumps are enabled. Does it hurt to leave the computer on if it is not going to be used for lets say 24 hours? The problem occurred while I was out of town and that happens at least once a week.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Crash dumps enabled  :thumbsup:

Computer being left on while you are not there  :thumbsup:

The type of keyboard and mouse that you are using !

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

The mouse and keyboard are actually connected to the computer using USB plugs. Strangely enough the computer has ran fine ever since other than it still not recognizing the printer without unplugging and re-plugging it. 

Edited by chuckgibson, 07 April 2015 - 07:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks for the update chuckgibson  :thumbsup:

Can you check the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs.

Strangely enough the computer has ran fine ever since other than it still not recognizing the printer without unplugging and re-plugging it. 

I am suspecting either the USB ports or their drivers but to rule out the printer being involved would it be possible to try it hooked up to another computer.

Advertisements

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

No yellow or red x's...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I am suspecting either the USB ports or their drivers but to rule out the printer being involved would it be possible to try it hooked up to another computer.

Is this an option.

No yellow or red x's...

:thumbsup:

Is the computer still behaving itself.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Yes. The computer seems to be running fine. How often should you defrag a computer?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Is this an option.

How often that a HDD is defragged depends on the amount of file swaps that are done on the drive, the average user should not defrag a HDD any more than once every few months as it can actually fragment the data on the drive + it subjects the HDD to unnecessary stress.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

OK. This sucker has started shutting down again. It showed a message that read "Files that can help describe the problem". C:\Windows\Minidump\041815-31122-01.dmp ; C:\Windows\chuck\Appdata\Local\Temp\WER-80933-0-sysdata.xml ; There is also a Tom Tom screen that keeps taking it on to itself to open up. It is a get started page. I have a Tom Tom that is occasionally updated on this computer but I don't know why this page keeps opening up. Something else has started showing up that I haven't a clue as to what it is. It is called "Web Companion".