Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 won't log in outside of Safemode

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

One of my log ins will not log in outside of Safemode. It says login failed the user profile could not load. Is there anyway I can fix this?

I am running Windows 7 home premium on a Toshiba Satillite L755D-S5204

Edited by RebelGamer137, 03 April 2015 - 05:29 PM.

Advertisements

Caliburn

Caliburn

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Hi, is it the following message?

User profile service failed the logon, User profile cannot be loaded

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Yes

Caliburn

Caliburn

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Yes

Right:

Note: You are going to be editing the registry, I recommend you back it up beforehand.

1. Go into the "Boot Options" menu. Usually, this is by continuosly pressing the F8 key.  It may also prompt you on the splash when you boot up your laptop.
  2. Navigate to "safe mode" using the arrow keys and click enter.
  3. Run regedit by holding the Windows and the R key.
  4. Be extremely careful within this bit.

Backing up the registry

1. Navigate to the following HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Microsoft --> Windows NT --> CurrentVersion --> ProfileList
  2. Right Click the ProfileList section and click "Export", and save it. This is in case everything goes pear-shaped.

Swapping the keys

1. You should see two large folders, one with a .bak on the end, and one without.
  2. Right click --> Rename, then change the .bak to a .b
  3. Right click --> Rename on the other one, then add .bak to the end
  4. Right click --> Rename, remove the .b off the other one. (sorry for the vague language, the exact keys can vary)

Finally, modifying them!

1. Expand your window so that you are able to see the key values.
  2. Click on the folder without the .bak extension.
  3. Double click "Ref Count" and change the value from 1 to 0, and click Ok.
  4. Double click "State" and change the value to 0, and click Ok.
  5. Now, restart the computer.

If the problem persists.

1. Double click the registry key that you saved, and follow the steps to restore it.

bloopie

bloopie

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

Hello RebelGamer,

You may want to also have a look at this Microsoft page with screenshots (as well as instructions) on how to do this if you're not comfortable.

Please let us know if you have any questions!

bloopie

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

I am very nervious about doing this.

bloopie

bloopie

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

Hello again,

I am very nervious about doing this.

I completely understand you being nervous about it...making mistakes in the registry can be disastrous! :surrender:

I can tell you that these instructions are correct, however they may also make you feel like you're walking on egg shells. But please do keep in mind that in the link I provided, there are two other Methods to accomplish the same goal.

How about looking over Method:2 from the link in my previous post? There is much more room for error there, and you should be able to do it without much trouble at all.

Method:3 is another way to have Microsoft do it for you...but I would give Method:2 a shot as it's a safe route and you can learn a few things along the way. :thumbsup:

==========

Just be sure to follow the instructions closely, and you'll be okay. Backing up the registry is a good idea in any case, so you may want to do that as well (i.e. create a System Restore Point) before you begin.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :)

bloopie

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

What is the worst thing that could happen should I mess this up?

Caliburn

Caliburn

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

What is the worst thing that could happen should I mess this up?

Having to do a system restore. (changing the whole computer back to how it was at a certain date) It should go fine though, it's not a dangerous procedure, it's quite safe. ;)

bloopie

bloopie

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

Hello again,

To answer your question: If not done correctly with manual editing of the registry (as described in Post  #4 above, and/or using Method:1 in the link I gave), you could potentially cause your system to become unbootable if you were to delete an important registry key. That's not extremely likely, but that's the damage you could cause if you try that method and make a big mistake.

==========

However, the other two methods shown in the link I provided are much more safe (assuming you first create a System Restore Point)...the possible damage with that method is you'd lose your userprofile (your logon), and the information stored therein...but a successful System Restore to the safe point you create (or another previous one as Caliburn mentioned), should fix that possible scenario.

If you closely follow the instructions for Method:2 in the link: Microsoft page with screenshots, then you should have little trouble and won't need to restore your system. ...Be sure to create a System Restore Point before you begin in any case though, just to be safe. :)

We'll be here if need additional help as well! :)

bloopie