Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't start for no obvious reason

• Please log in to reply

anarxaki

anarxaki

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

It all started 2 weeks ago when my computer shut down due to overheating. The CPU was running in temps 65-75C. I thought it was a good time to clean the tower and replace the cheap thermal paste I used 6 months ago.

I did everything by the book regarding static and handling the CPU and since I found not much dust, I just cleaned the fans. But when I turned it on, there was no beeping sound and BIOS didn't load. I found out that the problem was with the memory parts. I have 2 of 1GB in dual channel and 1 of 2GB. The computer starts with either "small" or "big" cards but not with all 3. Or it starts but gives me colored squares on the screen as if there was a graphic card problem.

I've already tried BIOS reset, no change.
Hard disc Sentinel said that all drives are working perfectly.

I also run memtest for at least 4 hours for each card, all three came back with no errors.

So what is the problem? Is the motherboard giving up on me?

INFO
MB: Sapphire PE-AM2RS690MV

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

RAM: OCZ OCZ2P8001G (two of them)

Kingston KHX6400D2B1/2G

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg

Edited by anarxaki, 04 April 2015 - 02:46 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

I am suprised the RAM ever worked together.

The Kingston is cas 5. 5-5-5-15 @ 1,85v

The OCZ is cas 4. 4-5-4-15 2.1V

The timing could be adjusted in the BIOS but don't see how the voltage could be made to match.

What does the MB QVL show?

What is the RAM recommended voltage for the CPU.?

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

I'm afraid I cannot answer any of your questions.
The Kingston RAM was suggested by a company technician, since I was not sure what to buy. I have it for five years now...

Where do I have to look for the MB QVL and the RAM recommended voltage?

Edited by anarxaki, 04 April 2015 - 05:28 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

It does seem strange that the RAM would run all that time without a hitch, after being disturbed, it may just not play nicely together now.

If this is your MB, > http://www.sapphiret...&pid=233&lid=1# click the download button, the Dram test report is near the bottom.   If you are getting any error codes, the  BIOS Debug Port Post Code are there as well.

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Sorry, I still don't understand what you're asking for. :no:

But I have news. I realized that DIMM2 and 4 are not working properly. They're not completely dead, because when I use them I don't get the constant beep that means "No RAM found". It just won't start as if it is trying to read the cards. If I use DIMM1 and/or 3, there is no problem.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I was giving some links so you could check out the RAM and CPU compatibility.

This is your MB, starting page #5, try using the recommended slots, > http://hk.dl.sapphir.../driver/390.pdf

This is the tested RAM/type > http://hk.dl.sapphir.../driver/355.pdf

Disregard the Debug Port Codes as the MB does not have the nec LED display, you would need a PCI debug card plugged in to read the error codes, i.e.. > http://www.dx.com/p/...72#.VSB4TNyUdVQ

Please download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Please download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.

http://speccy.pirifo...rpcvioHzSV65y8Y

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the Speccy info.

Your RAM is showing single channel mode.

Slot 1, Kingston 2GB.

Slot 2, OCZ  1GB.

Your Fan Speed: 3080 RPM needs checking.

The BIOS reading of the +5V = 5,802V.   The +12V = 10,736V, Both outside the +/-5% specs, needs checking.

Please download and install CPU-Z and HWmonitor, > http://www.cpuid.com/softwares.html

I also run memtest for at least 4 hours for each card,

If you have not done so, you need to make sure you don't have a bad slot on the motherboard.  Clean out any suspect slots with a blast of compressed air then test again using a single stick of OCZ that passed Memtest in each of the four slots. If the stick fails at one or two slots, then you've found the issue: the motherboard. If it passes all four slots, install the two stick of OCZ in the correct default slots, yellow, slots 1 and 2.

Providing the computer boots, start cpu-z, on the top menu, click memory tab and take a screenshot.

Next, click the SPD tab, select slot #1 on the left, take a screenshot.

Next, select slot #2, take a screen.

Please include them in your next reply.

Next, run Memtest with the 2 stick installed and post the results. 

We will look at the voltage and CPU fan speed later. 

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

I haven't abandoned this topic, it's just the Orthodox Easter this week and the holiday preparations are taking all my time.

I'll come back in a few days with my news. :yes:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Got it, :thumbsup: , 

Advertisements

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Hello again!
I checked again the memory slots. I gave them a good compressed air cleaning but they are still not responding (slot 2 and 4). The screen stays black, with no beeping sound (when I start it with no RAM it goes constantly beeping). So it's the motherboard...

Slot 1 and 3 are ok, so I am now with 3GB of RAM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, I would agree, the MB is faulty.   I would be inclined to make do as I doubt you will find a new one and the price of a refurbished > http://www.ebay.com/...sd=271783501074

There is not much you could port to new system as the hardware is quite old.

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Well, my finances do not allow me to spend that amount of money just to keep an old computer running. The question is: is that faulty MB going to cause more problems in the future? Could it shortcut a HDD and make me lose my data? I can work with 3GB RAM, but I cannot risk losing a HDD.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

It is very possible the MB could developed more faults which could cause file corruption, the computer become unbootable, worst case, damaged the HDD.   It could also run for the next ten years with no problems.

Take steps now or you could become one of many on the site trying to recover lost Data. 

You should create recovery media for whatever OS you are running.

At a min, backup the My Docs folders to a big enough USB stick.

Use Macrium Reflect FREE Edition to create an image of your OS hard drive, > http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx  The image should be in a different location to your Boot drive.

Consider getting an external storage device, i.e. My Passport.

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Thank you for all the help!
I contacted a local store for repair or replacement of the motherboard.

If you want you can close this topic as solved, unless you want me to come back with news from the store. :D