Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD 0x00000116, driver stoped working and artifacts now but only in s

geforce artifacts bsod

• Please log in to reply

m1ch43lord

m1ch43lord

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey, 
I have read lot of similiar threads, but none of them are exactly as mine.

I have Gigabyte Geforce GTX 460, and 5 days ago i had BSOD, while playing Hearthstone (low requirements), only one:

After that, since 5 days when I play some high requirements game, I have artifacts, after 10-15 minutes. It occurs also when watching movies for hour or so, never when just browsing web. They stay even after i close application that made them, until i hit ctrl+alt+delete, then they disappear !

They don't appear on Youtube since I turned off hardware acceleration in chrome. I have much more time until they appear when i change resolution to 1280x800. 
I made tests in Video Memory stress Test v1.7.
They made me

[2015-04-01 01:44:04] Test started for "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...OK
TEST FAIL (Code: 887601C2)
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...OK
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
[2015-04-01 01:52:47] Pass completed (0 errors found).

and

[2015-04-01 01:31:46] Test started for "GeForce GTX 460"...
Preparing CUDA...Module load error: 300
NO PASS COMPLETED  
Can you explain me results?

Do you have any ideas what can it be? I NEVER had high GPU temps, they are about 45-50 in stress! 
What is weird is that i can avoid them, even play some games with low requirements, and they often dont appear at all.
When artifacts appear i have "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" notification.

I tried:
-disconnecting and clearing GPU (there ware tons of dust)
-cleaning graphic drivers with driver sweeper and installing a fre older (310, 280) versions.
-reseting bios with battery disconnection

I'm thinking about trying to install 2nd OS. I can't afford new graphic card soon. Can it be something drivers related or PowerSupplier, or it's for sure Graphic Card and i need to start looking for new one? I have OCZ StealthXStream2 500W.

Here are voltages etc from OpenHardwareMonitor, maybe it helps:
voltages etc

Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:  m1ch43lord,

Not enough information to go on atm so going to hazard a guess that you are running Windows 7, if yes, follow the steps below to take a screenshot of Disk Manager and attach it to your next reply;

1.        Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

2.        Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.

3.        In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.

4.        In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.

5.        When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.

After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.

Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

m1ch43lord

m1ch43lord

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hey, 

Yes, i'm on W7 x64.
Here's SS of disk managment.
I don't have english W7, so:
zdrowy - healthy
rozruch - boot
plik stronnicowania - index file 
zrzut awaryjny - ~safe dump 
partycja podstawowa - ~primary partition
dysk logiczny - logical drive

Greetings

Attached Thumbnails

• disk mgm.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Sorry but I am having a bit of trouble with cross referencing the partitions on the HDDs so will need a change of approach;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Of particular note in your HWMonitor screenshot is the amount of free storage space that is available on the HDDs, please see my canned text below for an explanation;

Please note that in order to avoid data corruption and/or mechanical HDD failure for data only HDDs you must always have a minimum of 10% of the HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space and between 20 and 25% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space if the OS is on it, the free space allows for information to be copied to and from the drive efficiently and it reduces the risk of the OS being overwritten/becoming corrupted by a simple task such as installing a Windows or a third party software update.

Not having the above can render a computer inoperable if the HDD concerned has the OS on it due to the MBR (Master Boot Record) becoming damaged/corrupt, please see information @ http://pcsupport.abo...sterbootrec.htm

m1ch43lord

m1ch43lord

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Do you think this graphic problems can be caused by something applications/drivers related, and there is a chance that GPU isn't broken ?

I've just made more free space on HDD, was able to make only 10% on system partition tho.

Edited by m1ch43lord, 07 April 2015 - 02:07 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Apologies for the delay in me getting back to you m1ch43lord  :(

The following from your Speccy report needs addressing asap and for the reasons mentioned in my reply #4, the Windows OS and personal data corruption are both at risk as is the complete failure of both of the HDDs;

Partition 1
Partition ID: Disk #1, Partition #1
Disk Letter: C:
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: AC84C40F
Size: 58 GB
Used Space: 57 GB (98%)
Free Space: 1,15 GB (2%)
Partition 2
Partition ID: Disk #1, Partition #2
Disk Letter: D:
Volume Serial Number: 34BADFCF
Size: 63 GB
Used Space: 61 GB (97%)
Free Space: 1,76 GB (3%)
Partition 3
Partition ID: Disk #1, Partition #3
Disk Letter: E:
Volume Serial Number: 00CCD50F
Size: 343 GB
Used Space: 317 GB (92%)
Free Space: 25,9 GB (8%)

Partition 0
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #0
Disk Letter: H:
Volume Serial Number: 7C95705A
Size: 29,3 GB
Used Space: 28,6 GB (97%)
Free Space: 692 MB (3%)
Partition 1
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #1
Volume 0
Disk Letter: I:
Volume Serial Number: 90BB05D0
Size: 39,1 GB
Used Space: 18,2 GB (46%)
Free Space: 20,9 GB (54%)
Volume 1
Disk Letter: J:
Volume Serial Number: 56076798
Size: 164 GB
Used Space: 161 GB (98%)
Free Space: 3,24 GB (2%)

m1ch43lord

m1ch43lord

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Well, looks like problem is "solved":

Attached Thumbnails

• 11125286_1098903703470145_1348104627_n.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Well, looks like problem is "solved":

Sorry but not sure what you mean!

In addition to freeing up space on the HDD below are a couple of things for you to do;

Create a new folder on your desktop, name it GTX 460 drivers, download from here and save the GPU drivers for your card to the new folder on your desktop.

Uninstall the NVIDIA GPU drivers using Add or Remove Programs. You can get to Add or Remove Programs by clicking on the Start Button, then clicking on Control Panel. Then click Add or Remove Programs. Once in Add or Remove Programs, you need to find NVIDIA Drivers and click Change/Remove. (If you have an NVIDIA chipset, make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver checkbox is checked, then click Remove. Otherwise, just click Yes.)

Next, please download and install Driver Sweeper from http://www.guru3d.co...er_sweeper.html (Click on the Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Then, boot the computer into safe mode. To do this,

·         Turn the computer on (or restart the computer if it is already on).

·         Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.

·         Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.

·         Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in safe mode.

Next, open the program, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, that you just installed. Check the checkbox for cleaning NVIDIA - Display drivers. Then press the Clean button.

Reboot normally (not into safe mode), and then, install the newest drivers again.

Reboot when prompted, and let us know if you still receive the error message.

Thanks to Stettybet0 for the above instructions  :thumbsup: 

Update DirectX 

Run the nvidia-video-card-test 

m1ch43lord

m1ch43lord

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I mean this artifacts now stay even after reboot, and during starting up windows, so GPU is damaged I think... I'll need to buy new card.
Btw I tried cleaning drivers with driver sweeper and reinstalling, didn't helped. I'll buy gtx 760 now... since my Geforce from Asus and Gigabite both died after 3-5 years, i'll try MSI one now. Greetings and thanks for help anyway !!! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Before replacing the card you need to confirm that is the cause of the bad display, do you have a notebook computer that you can connect your external display to, if the graphics are ok on that it does suggest that the card is bad and not the display itself.

RE: The GTX 760, I have he EVGA SC version and am most happy with it  :yes: specs here Note that for the GTX 760 that you need a minimum power output of 500W from the PSU and at least 30 amps on the +12V rail, does your present PSU meet these requirements.

You are welcome btw  :)

m1ch43lord

m1ch43lord

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yes, my roommate have notebook, monitor works ok on it.
Ye, I heard EVGA is best producer, but it's too expensive for me, especially since dollar have so high value now and prices of GPU's gone up last months. It cost about 170$, and MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte costs 135$ in my country.
I have exactly 500W, it will be enough I think, because GTX 760 uses much less power than GTX 460, which I had before. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update m1ch43lord  :thumbsup:

Monitor being good does make the video card a more likely cause but can I just make sure that you used the same video cable between the notebook and your screen.

I have exactly 500W, it will be enough I think, because GTX 760 uses much less power than GTX 460, which I had before.  :)

Things that need to be taken into consideration include the following;

1: Not all PSUs are capable of producing the claimed wattage that is stamped on them.

2: The present PSU may/or will not/be have been good enough to support the GTX 460 or a GTX 760.

3: The present PSU may have damaged your present video card and other hardware.

To help with checking the above for you can you first of all tell us the brand and model name or number of the present PSU.