Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Dell Inspiron won't boot and beeps twice every three seconds

• Please log in to reply

NEED HELP FOR LIFE

NEED HELP FOR LIFE

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need help because I have a dell inspiron 531 and it won't boot up. When I finished dusting the inside of my computer, and I turned it on for the first time it started beeping twice very fastly every 3 seconds. I tried taking out each ram and putting them back in and it stopped beeping! But then when I booted my computer up it wouldn't send anything to my monitor and it didnt beep as it usually did before it booted up. PLEASE HELP ME!

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Howszit?  Sorry to hear that your Dell is startup "challenged".

You may have a bad RAM chip.  Have you tried only using one?  Switch them and see if it will start with only one chip, (your system should report a decrease in the RAM but let you continue to boot).  Be sure that the chips are installed correctly.  I usually clean the chip's contacts with a solvent cleaner and make sure there's no dust build up.  The two beeps that you got when you 1st tried is a Dell signal that there's a problem with the RAM, so this may help.

You didn't use excessive force dust cleaning the system did you?  I once had a client who used a hair dryer to blow off the dust.  He actually fried his hard drive doing this...

Hope this helps...