Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Exploit:JS/Fiexp.O

Severe Malware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

When I went to a site regarding estimated taxes MSE notified me that there was malware that it identified as severe (Exploit:JS/Fiexp.O) and quarantined it.  Should I remove it?  How do I know if any other needed files have been affected?  Should I use System Restore?  MSE has placed a MSE Checkpoint labeled "Microsoft Antimalware Checkpoint" not sure if that was before or after. 

Thanks for your help. 

Update: Ran MSE (Quick Scan) and Malwarebytes with no problem.  However, Microsoft recommends downloading Microsoft Safety Scanner and running that program as well as a full scan.

Attached Thumbnails

• MSE JSE.JPG
  • System Restore MSE.JPG

Edited by joseph456, 04 April 2015 - 08:15 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi! My name is zep516 and Welcome to Geekstogo!
I'll do the best I can to resolve your computer issue
Please make sure to carefully read any instruction that I give you. If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, don't continue Stop and ask! Never be afraid to ask questions! :)

It looks like Microsoft security Essentials has done its job and quarantined (Exploit:JS/Fiexp.O) before it was able to do any harm. You can remove it.

Microsoft recommends downloading Microsoft Safety Scanner and running that program as well as a full scan.

It would not hurt to run that scanner.

JS/Fiexp is a family of JavaScript components belonging to an exploit kit called Fiesta. Similar to other exploit kits like Blacole, it first checks your browser, version, and installed plugins. It does this to determine what exploit to use on your PC. It can exploit vulnerabilities in Java, Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Silverlight, and Internet Explorer. This threat might get into your PC if you visit a hacked or malicious website.

Next
Download Security Check by screen317 from Here or Here
Save it to your Desktop.
Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE: If SecurityCheck aborts and you get the following message: UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! try rebooting the system and then run SecurityCheck again.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Thanks for your help.

Deleted quarantined item, ran Microsoft Scanner (Quickscan) - clean

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.99 
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled) 
 Internet Explorer 11 
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled! 
Microsoft Security Essentials  
 Antivirus up to date! 
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Java 8 Update 40 
 Adobe Flash Player 17.0.0.134 
 Adobe Reader XI 
 Mozilla Firefox (37.0.1)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent```````` 
 Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng.exe
 Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
OK

All the programs are up to date too, Java, Adobe those are the programs that exploit tries to infect.
I don't think there is any more to worry about.

Joe

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Thanks for your prompt assistance!

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Your welcome Joe !

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Thanks
Joe :)