Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet going on and off mostly

• Please log in to reply

killriot24

killriot24

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello! My internet has gotten slow recently and the Internet keeps going off then on and this repeats for 2-4 times a day. We have called the internet provider and they said there was nothing wrong with our internet. It is slow my parents wouldn't notice as they only use internet for banking and facebook but when it comes to games, we keep getting disconnected. It's a wifi and my laptop is not connected with an Ethernet cable. I am using a windows 8 Hp laptop, thank you :D

Advertisements

hgh918

hgh918

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello Killriot..

It's almost impossible to say what's going on w/ your internet for sure, but there are a few things you can check..
Of course the basics, make sure all your connections are secure on your eqpt and the wall, and have no visible damage to the cables. Another thing that can really weaken the signal is if you've got a splitter on the cable coming to your modem. If there is one, for troubleshooting purposes you can bypass the splitter and connect your modem directly to the wall outlet. If things improve, of course you'd just need to replace the splitter.  
So, you said you're going off wifi..do you have a standalone modem and router both, or a wireless modem? If you've gotta router, I encourage you to bypass it and hardwire your laptop to the modem w/ the ethernet. If the speed improves, your router is the culprit. Even if it's a wireless modem, hardwiring would still give you a better idea what's goin on.  Also, you said your parents haven't noticed it...have you noticed it on anything besides your laptop? If not, you may run a virus scanner. If it's on other eqpt, thats a pretty good indicator it's the wireless network or a weak signal coming from your ISP, rather than your computer.   Now, if you go through all this, and things still aren't where they need to be, at that point I'd encourage you to contact your ISP again, let them know what you tried, and have one of their techs come look outside.   
Hope this helps, good luck! :)

killriot24

killriot24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The cables were checked by the workers our internet provider sent and there wasn't any problems found. I am using a wireless modem, connected to our landline phone and to our pc. My laptop is connected through wifi, I have just recently got a antivirus. May I ask what a splitter is?

hgh918

hgh918

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Do you ever notice any speed issues on the pc that's hardwired?  
A splitter is a small metal piece of hardware, maybe 3 inches long, that allows you to utilize one cable outlet for multiple pieces of eqpt. So, the coax that comes out of the back of the modem, you would follow that, and see if it goes straight into the outlet in the wall, or if it connects to this splitter, which would have at least 3 ports on it. One port on one side, which is where the cable coming out of the wall would screw in, and then at least two ports on the other side, with a cable coming out of each of the ports--one going to your modem, the other to any other eqpt you have nearby that requires a coaxial connection. 
Hope that was explained clearly, it's a lil hard to describe!!

killriot24

killriot24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Good idea i better try the hard wired first, and it's that internet logo that keeps blinking non stopped. I guess it just our internet provider.

hgh918

hgh918

• Pip
  • 5 posts

It's normal for a LAN light to blink on the modem, sometimes the symbol for it looks like a cpu screen with some dots in it..also called your link light, just indicates ethernet connectivity

killriot24

killriot24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
For the splitter, should I remove it? Oh!!! And am I bothering you? Cause I've been asking so much questions Ahahha?

hgh918

hgh918

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hahah, no, no bother, I actually went to sleep, sorry lol..but yes, what you'll wanna do is bypass the splitter, connect the coax cable coming from the wall straight to the modem :)

killriot24

killriot24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Snap! Sorry Ahah! Thanks so much for the help :D glad I found this web! Take care and have a good night!