Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

R9 290 drivers causing black screen only when restarting system

#r9 290 #blackscreen

• Please log in to reply

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I have recently purchased an R9 290 tri X OC 4GB edition. I have installed the card and all went well.

However installing AMD's latest omega drivers 14.12 and the latest beta drivers causes my system to black screen only when restarted.

I can turn on the PC and game perfectly fine and turn off the PC at the end of my gaming session fine. It only happens when choosing to "Restart" the machine and right after the windows logo but before showing me the accounts to login to, this only happens if i have drivers installed, removing the drivers OR GPU stops the issue and my system restarts perfectly fine.

I am running windows 8.1 pro
i5 3470

8GB DDR3

I have read so many forums and links on google but none seem to exhibit this exact issue, they all seem to refer to black screening ingame but this is fine in game for me and i have no issues with gaming performance.

So far i have tried:

Removing all AMD drivers/software then cleaning up with 3d GURU driver uninstaller in safe mode. Re installing driver only and none of the other software. 
Tried as above with Beta drivers
Tried as above with 14.9 drivers
Tried as above with 13.12 drivers

All of them causes the system to fail to warm boot. With no problems cold booting.

I did read something about the possibility of the voltage not being high enough for this type of card with AMD's drivers but not sure how to find that out/resolve that.

Thanks in advance, any more info needed just give me a shout.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

It only happens when choosing to "Restart" the machine and right after the windows logo but before showing me the accounts to login to,

to be honest the solution to your problem  probably is to not restart until it's reached the login screen. :D

no expert so total guess but what i think is happening is the card doesn't power cycle properly because it was still installing it's driver or there's a bug in it so on the restart windows thinks it's drivers are installed and usable and of course they are not so you get the black screen.

like i said total guess but that's the best i can come up with and seeing how it only happens when the os and all drivers aren't fully installed correctly in the first place when you restart i don't think it is a problem i'd worry about even if it is an annoying one for you on the odd occasion you restart for some reason before the login screen appears.

might be worth getting in touch with amd and let them know what's happening maybe they can fix the problem if it is a bug in their driver or they may know exactly why it's happening and where the problem exists in the first place, firmware, amd drivers, windows os.

:popcorn:

what power supply do you have installed too, seeing how you just upgraded your graphics card and it's a problem you now have, for that card i'd be using a minimum of 80+ bronze rated 750 watt.

from this :- http://www.sapphiret...pid=2091&lid=1#

750 Watt Power Supply is required.

Edited by terry1966, 06 April 2015 - 11:45 PM.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi Terry, thanks for taking the time to look into this for m. However maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. The black screen occurs whenever I restart my system. If I click start-restart it still black screens I was simply explaining at what point in system boot that the gpu fails and shows a black screen ref the login screen. :-)

I noticed that the r9 290 recommended psu is a 750w but I always take that with a pinch of salt as manufacturers always overestimate to cover themselves. I am running this with a corsair cx 600w and noted the power drawn for the whole system has not yet been above 400w even in game.

This is actually a used card with warranty on so could be worth returning to swap and see if that makes a difference I wanted to check see if anything I.was doing was wrong in the first place :-)

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

sorry my misunderstanding, i'm an idiot and should have understood it was every time you warm booted at that point in time it happens and not when you restart at that point. :rofl:

that's when windows swaps over from using it's inbuilt drivers to using the amd drivers or should. :D

same cause tho i believe the card doesn't power cycle and why it fails and needs the cold boot, had the exact same issue with one of my tv cards and it's drivers, not sure where the problem was with that either, firmware, driver, bad hardware design, etc. etc.

yes the power supply's recommended are always over the top and as long as you have no problems otherwise then yours should be fine.

sorry can't offer a definitive answer to why the problem occurs, still might be worth contacting amd or saphire though to see if they know the exact problem and if there's a solution or work around to it.

or like you say maybe return it under warranty and get a replacement.

Edited by terry1966, 07 April 2015 - 02:13 AM.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi Terry,

I would just like to confirm that today I purchased a new R9 290 Tri-x OC and returned the one above, the one I have purchased is slightly different in that it has 2x8pin connectors rather than 1x6 and 1x8. Must have been an updated version.

Anyway the issue has resolved itself at least for now and I have put it down to a faulty GPU causing a black screen.

Thanks for your assistance.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

glad you got it sorted, i know with my tv card it was a known issue using linux drivers and was never fixed, can't remember if it happened in windows also but seeing how it was a htpc and always on it never bothered me much, but with windows and a graphics card especially when installing updates that need a restart the problem was always going to be a problem for you.

thanks for letting me know the resolution and hope you enjoy your new card with many hours of trouble free use. :spoton: