Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Only Mac laptops cannot connect to wireless access point

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

I work in a library where there is free wifi for patrons to use. We have subscriptions to both Verizon Fios and Optimum Online for our internet. Previously, the wireless internet was on Verizon. We recently switched redirecting the wireless to our Optimum account and everything has been fine - except the fact that everyone who has a Mac laptop cannot connect to wireless. Ipads, iphones, windows laptops, and android devices are all fine. But the macs just have an exclamation point over the wireless icon at the top bar and it just keeps saying 'wifi on' to 'wifi connecting' back and forth with no actual connection.

There are three access points around the library that are plugged into data ports in the wall. We control where the internet in each data port comes from through a data closet in the back. (Please be patient, I'm not sure about all of the right terms and everything to use just yet). Previously, these three data ports (which are connected to the three access points) were connected to a large Ethernet switch connected to the Verizon modem. When I switched the internet to Optimum online, the data ports are now going to a regular router that is connected to the Opt online modem.

This is the only thing I can think of that may be causing the problem because it literally only started when switching the wireless internet to Optimum. Is it possible that there is a setting on the optimum router that is causing ONLY the mac laptops to not be able to connect?

I'll appreciate any input, thanks!

• PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

exclamation mark i believe means a password problem,

so depending on password type they may need to put it in quotes "password123" or put a dollar sign first $1234abcdef

more info here :- https://support.appl.../en-us/HT201506

see if that solves the problem.