Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I REALLY SCREWED UP-PC WONT BOOT AND WONT GO TO BIOS

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Colleen.

Having no input device which you can use to alter setting, you will need to work inside the case.

Please have a read of the Tutorial, we will try, clearing the CMOS using the jumper or removing then reinserting the CMOS battery.

Is the computer in a place you can work on it?

Do you think you can perform method 2 or 3?

>  http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

mmmmmmm you should be able to get into the bios with the ps2 keyboard, so i'm at a bit of a loss here.

i know with fast boot and windows 8 os some people say they can't get into bios using the F keys because you need to be lucky and time it just right, so they need to use the advanced startup options in the win 8 os to get access to uefi but i've never seen or heard of the same thing happening with a windows 7 pc myself, yet fast boot is the only thing i can think of that is making it hard for you to enter the bios/uefi again apart from a motherboard that has major failure somewhere.

check the ps2 keyboard on the working pc please, if it works on there then try again on the broken pc.

soon as you hit the power on button keep tapping the F2 key until it either shows you the no bootable device error message or takes you into bios, like i said try it a few times if it doesn't work the first time.

if you still can't get into bios then i'm afraid there is nothing else i can think of that you can do except take it to a repair place to be looked at.

on second thoughts you could try a pot luck option.

what os is on your working pc? if it is windows 7 as well then you could try creating a system repair cd on that :- http://windows.micro...tem-repair-disc

put it in the broken pc then restart it and with luck even though we can't get into bios to set and check things, removing the battery should have set the default options where you disabled all bootable devices to enabled again so the cd will boot.

if it does boot up use the startup repair option and see if that will fix things for you :- http://support.hp.co...ument/c02058933

pot luck the hard drive is working and the problem is just a corrupt os that this can fix for you even though you couldn't check things in bios/uefi anyway.

all instructions are in the links for how to create and use a windows 7 system repair disk.

:popcorn:

oops missed your post iammykyl but believe colleen already tried the options to reset cmos before she bought the ps2 keyboard.

can you think of any reasons why she is unable to get into bios using the ps2 keyboard?

Edited by terry1966, 09 April 2015 - 07:43 PM.

ColleenB

ColleenB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

:) Hi terry1966.  I finally got it to go into the BIOS.  I guess I forgot to move the jumper cover back to the original position.  The ps2 keyboard got me into the bios but now I'm afraid to exit or anything.  What should I do now that I'm in the BIOS?  I can take some pics of the screens in the BIOS and attach them if you want.  Let me know ok.  Thank you again for your help..Waiting to hear from you...........      Colleen

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

:thumbsup:

first thing to check is if the hard drive is seen in there, if not then i think you'll need to purchase a new hard drive.

if it is seen the next thing you need to do is make sure the boot order of the devices is set to cd first followed by usb/removable next and hard drive last. save and exit bios.

then seeing how your son said the usb he gave you will boot and fix things, that would be the first thing i did, install the usb and restart the pc and see what happens.

forgot to say make sure usb devices is enabled again so you can get into bios with the usb keyboard as well, that way we'll know it does actually check for usb devices being plugged in.

Edited by terry1966, 10 April 2015 - 01:34 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday folds.

Terry, I think it was just a case of missing/miss timed F2 key press.

Colleen.

do you now successfully Boot to the desktop?

Do your USB sockets work OK?

Are you having any other problems now?

You did say the F12 key did not bring up the Boot Manage, please try it now by restarting the computer and holding it down. 

ColleenB

ColleenB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Okay Im sorry I have been sick the last few days.  Anyways, I did get into the BIOS and loaded default settings and saved and exited.  The only thing I see about the hard drive is on the boot tab and it says Hard Drive Order and then across from it it says No Hard Disk Drive.  I dont know what that means.  Anyways I got the windows 7 Home Premium disks from the guy who built the computer.  I put it in but i cant seem to fix the boot files.  It does give me an option to install windows 7 but i am not sure how to do this without installing a 2nd copy of windows.If I am going to install windows then I want to erase the other copy.  There isnt anything important on this computer that I dont have copies of.  Like I said he only used it for only maybe 20 hours before this happened.  I will have to install some software that he uses for school but we have those.  Please let me know what to do from here.  Thank you guys for helping me so far.  Colleen

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Not a problem, hope you are feeling better now.

Can you take some photos of the discs, or the number of discs and what is written on them.

Thanks. 

ColleenB

ColleenB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

It is a blank dvd that he burned and it just says windows 7 home premium.  He says it is my full os that he installed.  I have the product key.  When i tried to use it it gave me the option to install windows or repair but when i went to repair there are no restore points so i cant repair it.  But i want to make sure it doesnt install a 2nd copy.  I want to erase the first and reinstall.  But do i have a hard drive?  terry1966 said I might not.  How do i find out?  I mean its physically there of course but is it recognized.  Wouldnt the hard drive be okay since its loading windows with the disk and asking if I want to install or repair?  By the way the pc is 64bit.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

The only thing I see about the hard drive is on the boot tab and it says Hard Drive Order and then across from it it says No Hard Disk Drive.

not a good sign in my opinion.

when in the bios do you see something similar to this pic

20130127_141653_zps584b7266.jpg

in this pic it shows a hard drive on the ide channel 0 master and a dvd drive on the ide channel 3 master.

now in your uefi/bios they might be labelled differently, sata or just device and not ide channels and of course your drive is going to have a different identity and not be ST500DM002

if you don't have any drives showing up there or just a dvd drive then i'd say the hard drive as failed and your looking at buying a new hard drive before you can install the os again.

post a pic of your bios if possible so we can see what is and isn't connected.

Wouldnt the hard drive be okay since its loading windows with the disk and asking if I want to install or repair?

no because what your seeing is off the cd itself and not any hard drives.

Edited by terry1966, 12 April 2015 - 06:43 PM.

ColleenB

ColleenB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

I cant figure out how to attach the pics to this post and to make them small enough

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

no idea myself, don't know what the picture limitations are for copying and pasting a picture into the reply box and been ages since i've loaded any of my own pictures to a forum so have forgotten how i used to do it. :D

try clicking on the more reply options bottom right of reply box and click choose files and point it to the pic and add it as an attachment and do it that way, then at least i should be able to download it and see it.

ColleenB

ColleenB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0249.JPG IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0259.JPG

I hope this works.  Let me know ok

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0258.JPG

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

not looking good i'm afraid, it shows no hard drives when it should show at least 1 next to a sata port number.

now you can try connecting it to other ports on the motherboard and see if it is then seen or connect it in your working pc to see if it is seen there just to double check the problem is with the hard drive and not the motherboard sata controller or something, but in my opinion the hard drive has had a major failure and is unusable so you will need to purchase a new one or contact the builder again and get him to exchange it under the warranty process of the drive or do it yourself directly with the drives manufacturer.

on the hard drive you will find a sticker with the manufacturer name along with model and serial number, if you visit the manufacturers site you can check if it's under warranty and follow their procedure to rma it and get a replacement.

usual drive makers likely to be installed i'd think are either western digital, seagate or samsung.

curious but does the usb keyboard get you into bios when the "boot usb devices first" option is disabled or only when enabled or even probably makes no difference and there is a setting elsewhere that effects that?

Edited by terry1966, 12 April 2015 - 08:09 PM.

ColleenB

ColleenB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

okay I will see about a new hard drive in the morning.  I cant hook it up to my other computer cuz its a laptop.  and I havent tried hooking up the usb keyboard yet but i will now and see if i can go into the BIOS.  I will get back to you okay.  Thanks for all your help.  I really am thankful to you guys.      Colleen

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Here is a link to your MB.  > http://downloadmirro...e03_English.pdf

A link to the BIOS settings, > http://download.inte...ybymenu_v13.pdf

Is the hard drive connected to the MB with a thin flat cable?  or a wide cloth like ribbon cable?

The Bios has been reset to Defaults, if the builder configured the HDD as AHCI and it is now set as IDE, it may not be detected.

In the BIOS, try first setting the ATA/IDE mode from Native to Enhanced, , then go to the exit menu, Save setting, then confirm yes, then click OK.

Do you boot to the desktop?