Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer crashes radomly

Best Answer phillpower2 , 07 June 2015 - 04:49 PM

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

It may be long winded JD but yours is the correct approach  :thumbsup:

Once you decide it is time to reinstall third party software start with what you use the most and leave the least used until last.

NB: I would also stick with Windows Defender and Firewall for now.

Yep, I wonder if Norton internet security was causing me issues with shell extensions and other items within it,  I turned off it's optimization stuff at time, no help then. How good is Windows Firewall and Windows Defender to protect me ?

I figured this was a good approach it can also tell me if my hardware was bad. Hard part is when this happened it sometimes took days to happen so going to suffer with barely anything on it for weeks till I know.

Using Internet explorer which I hate in ways, but also felt Mozilla Firefox might be a issue also. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Norton is a resource hog and no longer one of the most preferred AV softwares for that very reason.

I used Avast on each of my computers for many years but since upgrading computers to 8 then 8.1 I have used Defender and the Firewall and never had any problems whatsoever, see admin thread here

Regarding IE11, I have disabled it and stick with Chrome, again without any problem.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Norton is a resource hog and no longer one of the most preferred AV softwares for that very reason.

I used Avast on each of my computers for many years but since upgrading computers to 8 then 8.1 I have used Defender and the Firewall and never had any problems whatsoever, see admin thread here

Regarding IE11, I have disabled it and stick with Chrome, again without any problem.

Not sure about Norton statistics, each time I read which are best they seem to pick them, yes one I had is 2014 one. Resource hog I thought it was better over years on that issue. Had not noticed on this system, but good CPU and 16GB RAM any how.

I like Mozilla Firefox, just hate an update every month with them, makes you think why keep updating so often.

Heard Windows Defender was better since Windows 8.1. Truthfully so many issues with Windows 8.1 in general compared to Win7 .

Wow, so far no crashes almost a whole day, on pins and needles lately the last time I saw one thought had it I almost pulled some of my hair out.

Be bald and aged a few more years when this is over !!

Edited by jds63, 22 April 2015 - 02:53 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Have a look at the thread here

Avast (free) or paid for product Bitdefender would be my own alternative AV choices.

Also see admin thread here

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Kind of old articles, get your point, last I heard Norton was not a hog anymore.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2388652,00.asp      < free

Had Bit Defender years ago I liked it, it was low on resources.

I do like a Security suite, can't say how well Windows Firewall can protect you. http://www.pcmag.com...,2369749,00.asp

I always used Malwarebytes as a second scanner only. Microsoft security essentials I believe not used or not compatible with Windows 8.1 anymore.

Windows Defender still not the greatest against threats http://www.pcmag.com...,1926596,00.asp

http://www.pcmag.com...,2372364,00.asp

I know too many opinions, who to believe. Can't believe everything you read does take a number of people testing them.

As I type still no crashes with what I put back on. Another decision, which Ant-Virus or Security suite shall I then choose. WebRoot one has received some good ratings and very lightweight. Free or not free ,that is the question !! :yes:

Edited by jds63, 22 April 2015 - 05:49 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

No explorer crashes since reinstall of Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, was done on April 21 at 8pm. Today posting update April 23 5pm. Since then I only installed sound card software and a Anti-Virus software all is good so far. Keep monitoring for awhile before trying other device software and drivers like my printer and scanner. 

Once those are good for days with no crashes may try one third party software. Still making system restore points.

Update:   As of April 24 no crashes still same software and drivers as above been on over 3 hours now.

Like to put more on PC, but I need to make sure it is o.k. first. As I felt before due to a software or driver, hopefully so far it seems to not be a hardware related issue.

Edited by jds63, 24 April 2015 - 03:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

How are things going JD?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

How are things going JD?

Well it has not crashed since April 21 after I did a clean custom install of Windows 8.1, as mentioned before what I only put on it. Yesterday I reinstalled my printer, so far o.k.

Getting pretty bored on this PC now with nothing on it, guess I have to be just bit more patient till I know for sure.

Update: Installed another browser Mozilla Firefox, thought it could of caused my main issue. So far no crashes to explorer as of April 21st, soon to try my security software.

Assured at this point this was not caused by a failing hardware issue, as told it could be. By not installing anything for a period of time from beginning of my fresh install except important drivers and Windows updates brought me to that conclusion that the hardware is good and not the issue. Post back as i know more.

Hope this can help others with the same issue !

Edited by jds63, 27 April 2015 - 04:34 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Installed Security software, new version trial for now, Norton Security 2015. See how it reacts from my previous issue. 

phillpower2, this is for you on Norton's resources looks o.k. to me :spoton:

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg
  • Untitled2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Aye got to admit it does look ok resource wise  :thumbsup:

What have you now reinstalled and is everything still behaving itself.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Aye got to admit it does look ok resource wise  :thumbsup:

What have you now reinstalled and is everything still behaving itself.

Yes everything seems good, just as said installed Mozilla Firefox. Recently trying Norton Security 2015 and all seems fine no crashes since April 21st. Dying put more back on as i have nothing else on it.

Must be more patient !! Making restore points and they work well with Norton. Have to now pick and choose which software is next, even kept my mouse and keyboard software and drivers off, made by Logitech as i felt they might have been a cause of explorer crash. Logitech has not updated this driver software since i believe 2013, do not really think i need it as they work fine without it, it adds some extra bells and whistles..

All the essential drivers are on system, except as mentioned the Logitech Trackball Mouse and keyboard. Yep, just looks like software i had to try to put on one at a time and wait to see if there is a reaction from those explorer crashes.Choose wisely on what i really need, just may also be Windows 8.1's reaction towards certain software.

Still get some other errors in Event viewer that i am trying to understand, none that are causing me crashes. Some were the same as when i had those crashes (explorer), but i do not feel it was related to them just still having them after reinstall of Win8.1.

I am getting somewhat obsessed with looking at Event Viewer lately because this is where i used to look when those explorer crashes happened, so now i keep looking there constantly especially if i was away from PC to see if explorer might have crashed.

Now not sure about posting these errors in this post, being there hard enough to decipher and back then i tried using Windows Debugger.

What i am saying is in most cases i would need someone who does know about these type of logs and it can be then a off subject now from this post.

Edited by jds63, 29 April 2015 - 02:55 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Glad to hear that things in the main are still stable JD  :thumbsup:

Personally I would bite the bullet and install the Logitech drivers if only to rule them in or out as the cause.

Obsessing will drive you mad :woot:  and in all honesty unless the system crashed or performed badly I would never think of checking explorer.

It is worth posting the errors as you never know who may read your thread.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Glad to hear that things in the main are still stable JD  :thumbsup:

Personally I would bite the bullet and install the Logitech drivers if only to rule them in or out as the cause.

Obsessing will drive you mad :woot:  and in all honesty unless the system crashed or performed badly I would never think of checking explorer.

It is worth posting the errors as you never know who may read your thread.

Yes i may try to do this soon install Logitech Drivers, one startup item called Logitech Download Assistant (used to check for software updates for Logitech) that i had trouble disabling before with software in. For some reason without the software Windows 8.1 tend to install this service without your knowledge, but in this instance i am able to disable this service successfully. Just thought might be a concerned startup causing me the explorer crashes in past is all.

If uncheck do not check for updates in sfotware it still runs, puts a run32dll in Windows system32 folder.

Do you mean unless explorer crashes do not look at Event Viewer, well as said i only do it if away from PC when i am using it for awhile, sort of a check make sure all is well, i am calming down a bit on it knowing it has been good.

Posting these errors is just copying details of log one that comes up a lot about Cryptograhic service (error) and a Kernel PnP about USB Drives loading (this is a warning only).

Crytographic error about everyday, Kernel Pnp also,even when i use to have the explorer crashes but was not related. I had posted both in other forum, no respose, was about a month ago.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2
Date:          4/29/2015 5:04:38 PM
Event ID:      513
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      DS
Description:
Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
Access is denied.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2" Guid="{5bbca4a8-b209-48dc-a8c7-b23d3e5216fb}" EventSourceName="Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">513</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-04-29T21:04:38.341224500Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2923</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="1292" ThreadID="3000" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DS</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>

Details:
AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
Access is denied.
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Date:          4/29/2015 5:21:34 PM
Event ID:      219
Task Category: (212)
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      DS
Description:
The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic-&Prod_SD#MMC&Rev_1.00#058F63626479&1#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />
    <EventID>219</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>212</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-04-29T21:21:34.420055300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>4370</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="144" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DS</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="DriverNameLength">119</Data>
    <Data Name="DriverName">SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&amp;Ven_Generic-&amp;Prod_SD#MMC&amp;Rev_1.00#058F63626479&amp;1#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}</Data>
    <Data Name="Status">3221226341</Data>
    <Data Name="FailureNameLength">14</Data>
    <Data Name="FailureName">\Driver\WudfRd</Data>
    <Data Name="Version">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

These have not caused crashes or any BSOD, just trying to figure out a reason why. Error one is more concerning.

Edited by jds63, 30 April 2015 - 02:55 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Sorry for the late reply JD, not been around for a couple of days  :(

The first error is well documented but apparently with no Hotfix from MS, see thread here I`m sure that I do not need to advise you of this but for others that may read the thread, always create a new restore point before applying any software changes.

Error 2 is less well documented but worth reading are the steps post by Microsofts Mahesh Kumar A here 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Thanks Phill, i am a big believer as you know of using system restore points, sure i mentioned it here i have been doing restore points before i add anything on system since my explorer crashes and reinstall of Windows 8.1 Pro.

I have seen these articles as i also did so much research myself before ever posting them in a forum, as i always tried myself before asking for help. This Kernel PnP error has been on system since day one, as far as i can recall.

Crytographic one came after awhile, even when there was not much that was put back on PC. As you said before not to worry to much unless it was causing a crash on system from the errors in Event Viewer, i would of never known these errors existed until i kept checking for info after each Explorer crash at the time.

All in all so far no explorer crashes in a couple of weeks. I have put 2 more softwares back on system so far everthing is good.

I always keep the restore point before an install of software, then what i usually do make one for software i put on. Eventually as time goes on and no errors i may wipe the older one, so on.

Edited by jds63, 03 May 2015 - 12:57 PM.