Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"msvcp80.dll is missing"

windows 7 .dll PowerDVD video

Best Answer SleepyDude , 26 April 2015 - 03:24 PM

OK, now they are both installed!   It is odd that when I did the Dell system analysis, it didn't tell me to update those drivers. I never trust those automated tools  I guess now we hope... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

christoforest

christoforest

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hi there,

I cannot run Cyberlink Power DVD 9.6 because I keep getting this message:

"the program can't start because msvcp80.dll is missing from your computer"

I also cannot watch videos in Windows media player or any other program and suspect this may be why.

If I uninstall Cyberlink Power DVD 9.6, I don't know how to reinstall it, because it does not seem to be available on Cyberlinks website.  I also suspect this will not solve the problem because of the Media Player parallel problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Chris

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi christoforest :)

Usually this error message can be solved by a reinstallation of the program. I guess this program was installed by your laptop/computer manufacturer, who will probably provide a download for it on your laptop/computer drivers webpage. Do you know your laptop/computer brand and model or not? Also, what version of Windows are you using, Vista or 7? 32 or 64-bits?

christoforest

christoforest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hi there,

Thanks for helping.

The program came installed on a Dell Latitude E6420, using Windows 7 professional, 64 bit. 

Unfortunately, the only disc I seem to have is the Operating System one that came with the laptop.

Chris

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Dell have a support article to update and/or install Cyberlink PowerDVD for Dell laptops and computers. Follow the instructions in the link below to reinstall it:

http://www.dell.com/...19/SLN132884/en

Let me know how it goes.

christoforest

christoforest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

That looks good.

I am trying to "register my system" but it never seems to go through.

I will give it some more time and let you know.

thanks again

Chris

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

msvcp80.dll is part of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 try to install the following Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Runtimes

- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)

- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64)

If your windows is 32 bits install only the first (x86) if your system is 64 bits install both.

If you get any error installing please post the exact error.

christoforest

christoforest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hi Aura,

Well, I tried to download the Cyberlink Power DVD from Dell, but they would not give me access to it even though it was installed on my laptop when I bought it!

I was on the phone for 1.5 hours, and finally she said she might be able to mail it to me in a few days.  Ugh.

I will try what Sleepy Dude suggested and see if that helps and get back to you.

thanks again for trying to help

Chris

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Then go with Sleepy's solution, its the easiest. Usually I make people reinstall the programs since the installer will reinstall the prerequisites needed for it to run, so this way you ensure that both the prerequisites and the program itself are well installed. But if its out of reach, reinstalling the prerequisite should do the job just fine.

christoforest

christoforest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

No luck, I tried Sleepy's suggestion, didn't help.

christoforest

christoforest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I am thinking the problem may not even be solved by reinstalling Cyberlink Power DVD because even on Windows Media Player I cannot watch videos.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
What happens when you try to watch videos on Windows Media Player? Same error message?

christoforest

christoforest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I get this message

"Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings."

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I think its normal for Windows Media Player to not be able to play some DVDs, hence why people often use third party players. Can you try to install VLC (Video LAN Player) and see if you can read your DVD with it? Should take a few minutes to download and install, its not that big.

christoforest

christoforest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hi Aura,

That works great!  I will just forget about using Power DVD and use this.  If they mail me the disc I will try and install it and see if it fixes the original problem.  If not I can just use VLC.

Thank you!

christoforest

christoforest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Ugh!!!   Now the video doesn't work on VLC.  Sound works, but no video.

So I uninstalled, reinstalled, and still just sound, no video. 

In fact earlier,  I had this problem with Power DVD as well, just sound, no video.