Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help! No sound on new PC.

• Please log in to reply

digimime

digimime

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Greetings:

I'm providing system info first, problem descr. last.

Info about PC, OS

PowerSpec 1415 (apparently discontinued; similar to 1405 except for higher RAM and CD drive) dsaAMD Sempron[tm], 2200+1.50 GHz, 736 MB RAM

System Mfr: VIA Technologies, inc.
System Model: KM266a8235
System Type: X86-based PC

Sound…controls:

Audio Codecs
C-Media AC97 Audio Device (probably Integrated AC97 SoundBlaster Compatible Audio Chipset)
Legacy Audio Drivers
Media Control Devices: ROOT\MEDIA\MS_MMCI

directX 9.0 installed

:tazz: Originally loaded with Linspire; user group helpers cleaned hard drive, installed Windows XP Pro, SP2. Since there were yellow ??s in Audio, they downloaded some drivers, not sure which. Have been reading your posts and speculate that there might be a conflict between MS and chip drivers. You be the judge.

Thanks.

digimime

Advertisements

Fiachna

Fiachna

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Are the speakers internal or external? If external they may not be plugged into the correct port.

digimime

digimime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Are the speakers internal or external? If external they may not be plugged into the correct port.

Yes, and they are. FYI, I don't need to hear those kinds of assumptions. :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The correct drivers for the sound should be on the cd that acme with the mobo, I would delete the ones that were downloaded and try the original ones.

Make sure the onboard sound is enabled in bios
Make sure the sound in windows controll panel is not muted or turned down

I have seen several instances lately where the onboard sound just would not work no matter what we tried and the users end up installing a sound card as a work around. I know that sould not be but the other option would be to return the board.

maybe someone else will be around with another idea.

Rick

Fiachna

Fiachna

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
sorry about the assumptions, its just a mistake I always make. Whenever I have to muck around with the plugs at the back of my computer it takes me 3+ times just to get everything in the right ports.

digimime

digimime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Rick--thanks, I'll double check. From what I've read in the posts, it does seem to be quite a problem. ;)

Fiancha--sorry, I reacted too quickly. Enjoy your day, eve, or whatever, wherever you are. :tazz: